The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could you guys give me some suggestions and approx cost to go from the bay area to long island ny?

Thanks

Tetsuo

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
In general I hear a lot of bad things about DAS. I'd recommend you do a search on them to see all the stories here. The problem is they use a local tow company to move the car to their distribution point, and then use their trailers to move move the car between distribution points across the country as trucks fill up. As long as there's enough cars going your way you could get across the country in a reasonable time. On the other hand, you could get dropped off in Ohio and sit there for several weeks waiting for the next available trailer. Once it does reach you, again they'll sub contract a local tow company and bring you your car. The lack of control over the local tow companies (who might not know how to tow a lotus), the fact that your car could be "lost" for several weeks, and the lack of general "sport car expertise" make DAS very sketchy for shipping a lotus. Long story short: research DAS if you're thinking about using them.

When I had mine shipped I used Hog Haulers who were incredibly professional, affordable, and quick. Enclosed trailer, insurance, and door to door delivery were included in the cost. You'll find that most other shippers will charge $$$ extra for things like that.

Sadly I don't think that Hog Haulers ship to NY, just on the west coast. Good luck in your search.

Q

·
0 Posts
Ditto on hearing a lot of bad things on various forums about DAS. No personal experience, however!

Pics of my most recent delivery from InterCity Lines here...

New Page 1

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Ditto on hearing a lot of bad things on various forums about DAS. No personal experience, however!

Pics of my most recent delivery from InterCity Lines here...

New Page 1
+1 for InterCity. I've used them to ship from Bay Area to rural Louisana and they did a great job. Scheduling was a little sketchy...but after that it was smooth as silk.

For reference, August 07 it cost me about $1700. Figure double that since you are moving it twice as far and the fact fuel prices are sky high right now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a horrible experience with DAS. My Elise arrived with $1700 worth of paint damage. Ultimately they made good on it but it was a PITA. I would reccommend that you use another company.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Able Auto Transport and DAS both suck. AAT hired a guy who lost my Caddy for a month (turned out he was driving it). DAS is twice the price of most of the competition.

Problem is most companies like AAT and DAS are merely contractors. They give you a price, then post your shipping needs on 'the wire' and whatever owner/operator is looking for another pick up on their way will contact them. DAS (or whoever) will take the lowest bidder and keep as much of the money as they can. Long and short, even if you have a great experience with them one time, the next could be an entirely different ball of wax.

Anyway, if you're shipping a car you care about find someone who drives their own truck, find out what kind of insurance they have BEFORE they pick it up, and make sure you like whoever answers the phone when you call with questions. And most importantly, if its a Lotus PAY FOR AN ENCLOSED TRAILER. Period.

could you guys give me some suggestions and approx cost to go from the bay area to long island ny?

Thanks

Tetsuo
A year ago it would've been about $1400 enclosed - now I don't even want to think about what it would cost.....

Kaneda

·
Registered
252 Posts
Whatever you do, DO NOT use DAS. I have first hand experience and all of the bad things posted in this thread are true plus there are a lot of other horror stories if you check other automotive websites. They are nothing more than brokers and when something screws up, and it most definitely will, you are put in a very difficult situation. When they botched my delivery and I called, they cussed me out and told me never to call them again. They used the "F" word and "GD" over the telephone to me. I am a nice guy and don't usually say bad things but in the case of DAS, may they rot in hell for eternity. Now, would you like to hear how I really feel? :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
What are you picking up?

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Try Reliable transport out of Michigan. I have used them MANY times with no issues ever. They transport for the OEM's out of Detroit. Anything from normal cars to prototypes going to test centers or SEMA or autoshows. Very professional.

They have nice orange trucks/trailers. Some are open, some are closed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm going through the same issue right now. I need to ship my car from Norm Baker in LV to Westchester County, NY.

I would like to go with someone like Intercity who a couple of you have recommended, but they seem to be pricey at $1975. I also called MinuteMan (http://www.minutemantrans.com/contact.html) and they gave me the same price (looks like the same type of truck...can get really low cars on).

But then I got quotes from places like A2B (http://www.a2btransporting.com/index.htm) for $1590 enclosed. Maybe the trucks aren't as high quality?

I'm not sure if it is worth saving $400 and going with someone that hasn't been recommended to me, over a place that has.

thoughts? I know my gut says to suck it up and go with the reputable place for the price difference.

Do you think they would maybe negotiate?

·
Registered
37 Posts
As part of a corp relo, we shipped our cars from Boston to San Francisco using http://www.autolog.net/

They were very good, and the cars are shipped in covered rail I believe. In fact, I believe they are based in NJ, and have depots in NorCal and SoCal. If I remember correctly, our car was taken by truck to a depot in NY/NJ, and then shipped by rail across the country, and it ended up at a depot in the East Bay. Arrived without a scratch.

I also shipped another car on our own using them, and we paid out of pocket for that one (Boston to Bay Area as well), and it ran about $850.

Update: I just went to their site, and they have an instant rate calculator. I stuck in a zip code for Astoria and one for Burlingame (near SFO), and it said $975.

Mike

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
+1 for Intercity. Great experience, they even gave me the driver's cell number so I can get a hold of him while my car was in transit from MD to CA. Very professional & pleased with the experience. I paid around $1900 in March, 2007.

Alan

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,689 Posts
Horseless Carriage

They did right by me. It took a while to get the pickup scheduled, but only took a few days from LA to DC. I believe it cost me $1500 a year ago.
The driver was great - they have experience shipping Elises.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
How about you just pay me to drive it for you? I'll fly out, wrap the front in vinyl, and drive it cross country in a relatively safe manner, remove the vinyl and fly home. I can put PPF or stripes on it too before I head home.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts