The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right --- Lotus, in their infinite wisdom, has provided the radiator drain plug in the dumbest configuration / location possible. You can't pull this plug and drain the coolant without splashing coolant all over the lower shroud and having it puddle a bit underneath for one thing. Also, I'm not convinced that the entire system completely drains with this approach, anyway. It seems to me that some amount of coolant stays in the block (certainly it stays in the turbos as they are low and both coolant lines run uphill to the block from them), and I cannot find a drain plug on the block anywhere for getting this last bit out.

Is there a block drain somewhere ??

How do you guys achieve a good, complete drain of the entire system when refreshing your coolant ?

Also, any suggestions for gentle flushing -- with flow direction, against flow direction / best places to tap and draw ?

thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
I modified the radiator drain plug by installing one with a hose barb, then put a short extension on it so I can direct the drain where I want. Unfortunately every OEM plug I've seen has been frozen in place. Twist to hard and you will destroy the radiator.

Otherwise loosen the lower hose.

I park the car on a steep down hill and drain and fill it in that position.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts