The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to approach wide, sweeping curves that don't really have a well-defined apex point? Is it best to take the inside line as close as possible to the cones?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Yes. More distance is not better. Shorter line should be faster. You might need to consider the position of the car for entry and exit depending on the other parts of the course connecting to that sweeper.

For me, I don't hug the line too close, as I use modulation of the steering and throttle in a sweeper to stay near the edge of a drift. A little bobble and I might wiggle a bit.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What Randy said is correct. At the last event Tom Berry rode with me on a fun run. He praised the way I drove, but suggested one thing. To hug the sweepers more. I was trying to drive a smooth arc between the entrance and exit to the turn instead of making it as short as possible. His comments were that I probably lost a half second on each sweeper, which would explain the 1 sec difference between my time and my co-driver Matt Kogan's time.

Art

·
Lotus Sales
627 Posts
Sweeping turns.........

The correct answer is....... " It depends "!!! What is after the sweeping turn? What are you trying to set up for? Cones can be moved easily. I think it's best that you try to find the best possible point you can use for a LATE apex and try to fine tune with every lap getting faster and faster until you get to the point where you turn the wheel without any adjustments and you wind up at a perfect track out point with the ability to carry increasing speed into what ever is ahead of you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
In a wide sweeper (like turn 2 at Willow). The entrance really has nothing to do with the exit. ... but I do tend to double apex a wide sweeper..... I enter late, 1st apex late to lighten the rear wheels, when the rear goes, I steer and throttle to keep at the edge of adhesion..... power to keep the rear loose and steer/countersteer to keep where I wanna go. Near the end of the sweeper, I apex again to set up for the straight / next corner..... This is assuming that your definition of a wide sweeper is like mine.... that's why I gave turn 2 at Willow as an example.

Wide sweepers are my favorite... thats usually where I reel people in. I love the pitch and catch game in the middle of the corner!

Jose soriano

BTW, this is with a front engined RWD car.... I have no idea if this will work with a mid engined car..... can't wait to find out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts