The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running the E153 in my Rev400 Elise for a couple of years in my daily driven car that visits the track a few times a year.
It has terrible ratios but is very strong. I had a Jubu 3&4 in my 6 speed but it was just too noisy for me.
Second gear runs out at 120 kph and third over 180 kph. Very unsuitable for the track.
A few weeks ago I bought the E53 gearbox from a V6 '92 Camry. I pulled out 3rd and 4th gears and put them in the E153. A weekends work in my garage. I have never done a gearbox before but borrowed a hydraulic press and a few more tools.
All back in and the ratios are much better third runs out at 165 kph. Fifth is still a high gear for cruising. About the same as the six speed. It comes standard with a torsen LSD and their are plenty of strong clutches available (MR2).
This also has its own oil pump and cooler as standard.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I have the E153 and had a KAZ close ratio set put in with a longer FD. I'll be installing it this winter. Do you have any clutch suggestions?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the E153 and had a KAZ close ratio set put in with a longer FD. I'll be installing it this winter. Do you have any clutch suggestions?

I odered and installed this from MWR
1 x EXEDY ST1 Perf Clutch Kit - Toyota 3SGTE, 2GR, E153 $319.00

This only lasted a week as it was crazy heavy and I could hardly depress the pedal.
I now have this, it is still a bit heavy but perfectly streetable and no hint of slippage at nearly 400 hp.

1 x EXEDY ST0 Stock Replacement Clutch Kit - Toyota 3SGTE, 2GR, E153 $159.00

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I am shooting for 400whp. Do you know what the torque rating is for the stock E153 clutch?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am shooting for 400whp. Do you know what the torque rating is for the stock E153 clutch?
I am not sure but it seems very happy with what I can throw at it, even on the drag strip.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I'm confused here, Richard. I've found that all the gears are the same in the E153 boxes except that the final drives are different between the Mr2 and the Camry.

What exactly are you describing that you did?

·
Registered
103 Posts
you obviously have not taken many of them apart because getting 2 boxes from different models to directly swap gears, is a rarity. i've fixed/modified more of these than i care to remember. here is an article i've written..
Road And Track - Toyota

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you obviously have not taken many of them apart because getting 2 boxes from different models to directly swap gears, is a rarity. i've fixed/modified more of these than i care to remember. here is an article i've written..
Road And Track - Toyota
It might be rare but it has all worked out a treat.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Richard good for you. I have an E153 in my garage with the taller FD and Kaz gears. It's all set to go when I finish my race engine. BTW what pistons do you run and I thought the E153 has an LSD already.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Road And Track - Toyota
I read your article thanks for the info. I had MWR swap the gears with a close ratio KAZ set and change the FD. It covers the range of the C64 closely and spacing looks great on paper. I'm putting it in this winter so I'll know better next summer.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still happy

Old thread revival. This gearbox now has lots of miles on it and lots of work and I haven’t had to touch it since it’s original rebuild. Next few weeks it is going to have to put up with Rev X power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts