The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking here for a while, and I actually bought my Elise about 3 weeks ago not knowing how to drive manual. But, being a good forum member, I finally got my hands on a digital camera and took some pictures:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome. Nice looking Elise...you're going to love it :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love it. My 8 is gathering dust in the parking garage. While I have a few problems every now and then with the manual (such as failing to find the right gear, or roughly launching), it's an absolute blast.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Congratulations...and welcome!

:wave:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
:wave: welcome

Congrats on the sweet looking car. You will get the hang of the manual in no time.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I love it. My 8 is gathering dust in the parking garage. While I have a few problems every now and then with the manual (such as failing to find the right gear, or roughly launching), it's an absolute blast.

be VERY careful not to "find the wrong gear" under while upshifting (accidentally going from 4th to 3rd for example instead of 5th).

the rev limiter will not stop the rpms on downshifts (from what ive heard) and that can get really ugly really fast :eek:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Some people find the 2nd to 3rd shift tough. My advice when learning is when you attempt this shift, shift out of 2nd, let the shifter rest momentarily in neutral, then go STRAIGHT up. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I've never had a problem finding the right gear in this car, the trans is flawless (compared to an S2000).

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Some people find the 2nd to 3rd shift tough. My advice when learning is when you attempt this shift, shift out of 2nd, let the shifter rest momentarily in neutral, then go STRAIGHT up. Hope that helps.
+1 This gear selector (like most others) is deigned to be 3rd/4th biased, so if you're ever confused as to which gear you're going into: clutch in, shifter in neutral and go from there.

just wait until you learn how to rev match :up::shift:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, I'm just glad that I'm about 1 week out from my last stall - otherwise I am driving it just fine.

I need to work on my rev matching really - sometimes when I downshift, it lugs back just a bit until it normalizes.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Actually, I'm just glad that I'm about 1 week out from my last stall - otherwise I am driving it just fine.

I need to work on my rev matching really - sometimes when I downshift, it lugs back just a bit until it normalizes.

you just reminded me... i have yet to stall my car since owning it... *knock on wood* :wallbang:

rev matching will come with time and practice, you just have to get a feel for how much to blip the throttle to get the perfect match

·
shay2nak
25,133 Posts
congrats!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
you just reminded me... i have yet to stall my car since owning it... *knock on wood* :wallbang:
I some manage to stall when going in reverse up my driveway! (which is only at a slight angle, cept for the ramp up the sidewalk).
only in this car, and I've been driving stick for 25 [email protected]#

·
Registered
2006 BRG Elise - The best color
323 Posts
Congrats, your car looks great. I bought my first manual without knowing how to drive it too - fortunately, it wasn't the Lotus. However, doing it that way sure encourages you to learn how to drive a stick quickly!

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Congrats and welcome.

It sounds like you're doing pretty well. The Elise/Exige is not the easiest car to learn to drive an manual trans in. Keep up the efforts. They will pay off in the end :evil:.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've never had a problem finding the right gear in this car, the trans is flawless (compared to an S2000).
:crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes

To me the Miata and S2000 are the gold standard to which all transmissions are held. I find ours to be "meh" at best and "Ugh" at worst in the Lotus.

You're the first person i've ever heard say this trans is better than an S2000. Wow.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i have yet to stall my car since owning it... *knock on wood* :wallbang:

i stalled my car this morning :p

i pulled into my driveway and for some reason took my foot off the clutch in first gear :crazyeyes

1 - 20 of 41 Posts