The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post so thanks in advance for any tips!
im looking at 2 basically similar 2005/40-60k miles/Elise, the one with lower millage looking more stock and the 60k having many mods - including Exige body parts, Kicker sub in the front, horns, fender kit, wheels, etc.

ive purchased sport bikes in the past w/ mods and considered it a bargain as i would probably never get around to do it all myself , and they have been easier to sell. Any opinion if its better to buy a car with mods or without -- other things being equal.. ? These cars on ebay both around 25k with some days left for bidding. I'm not the mechanic type, so ill be letting the pros take care of things..

(the car with the mods indicates an accident hitting a guard rail many years ago - which the current seller says he didnt know about.. ) clean title and pics + sellers statements sounds like its not too relevant ..

thx!

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Hi this is my first post so thanks in advance for any tips!
im looking at 2 basically similar 2005/40-60k miles/Elise, the one with lower millage looking more stock and the 60k having many mods - including Exige body parts, Kicker sub in the front, horns, fender kit, wheels, etc.

ive purchased sport bikes in the past w/ mods and considered it a bargain as i would probably never get around to do it all myself , and they have been easier to sell. Any opinion if its better to buy a car with mods or without -- other things being equal.. ? These cars on ebay both around 25k with some days left for bidding. I'm not the mechanic type, so ill be letting the pros take care of things..

(the car with the mods indicates an accident hitting a guard rail many years ago - which the current seller says he didnt know about.. ) clean title and pics + sellers statements sounds like its not too relevant ..

thx!
Looked at both of the cars on ebay. The one with higher mileage has essentially been converted to an Exige. If you like that body style, put that in the plus column. Looks great, nice wheels. Those horns would have to go though. They are right behind the driver's ears.
That car wouldn't get through inspection as is in my state because of the window tint, Way too dark. Check your state laws and in bidding factor in the possibility of having to untint the windows to get it registered in your state.

I like the other Elise, too. No, it doesn't have the Exige body panels. But it has 20K fewer miles. As a driver...the view out the windshield of the Exige and Elise are exactly the same...so what's that worth to you? They are both normally aspirated, so performance is essentially the same. In other words...for what may be the same money you will get exactly the same driving experience, but in one you'll be driving a car with a tad more 'wow' factor if that's what you want, but in the other you are buying a lot more useable miles for the money.

It has the nicer looking, but heavier, euro Exige wheels. I love those wheels and have had them on two of the Elise's I've owned and both Exige.

Personally, I'd go with the lower mileage Elise over the higher mileage quasi Exige. You're buying, all other things being equal, 20 thousand more miles for the same money.

And of course, there is always the matter of potentially unseen damage in the Elige.

Finally, neither have a 'buy it now' price. I bet they will go for more than the entry bid price.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
The "Exige" is gorgeous, buy that one. 20,000 miles isn't much really and it has a new trans and clutch so that cancels most of the extra miles right there. I'd ask both sellers to inspect for cam lobe wear, takes 20 minutes or less.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thx 4 looking them up and for the input . is it typical to somehow meet the seller at a Lotus dealer for an inspection upon final payment..? I'm fine w/ paying for that - just not sure how often there will be a lotus dealer nearby or if a normal shop can uncover any major issues. thx again for the responses..

·
Registered
183 Posts
cool thx 4 looking them up and for the input . is it typical to somehow meet the seller at a Lotus dealer for an inspection upon final payment..? I'm fine w/ paying for that - just not sure how often there will be a lotus dealer nearby or if a normal shop can uncover any major issues. thx again for the responses..

Where are you located? Tons of users on here someone may be able to suggest a good shop to get them checked out

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
k ill float that question on here when i have a location in mind - still not sure which 1 ill end up with.
If there is a Lotus dealer nearby then do the PPI. You'll have to pay for it whether it 'passes' or not, figure a couple hundred bucks. The price for peace of mind.

But there are only about 50 or 60 Lotus dealers in the country I think, so unless you're close to one that could be a problem. As said you can get other competent shops to do the PPI. EXCEPT for one very important thing that only a Lotus Dealer can do: Do the ECU dump that will tell you how the car's been driven.

I've heard of a very few non-Lotus shops that have somehow gotten their hands on the Lotus software, but you can count them on the fingers of one hand with a few left over.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The "Exige" is gorgeous, buy that one. 20,000 miles isn't much really and it has a new trans and clutch so that cancels most of the extra miles right there. I'd ask both sellers to inspect for cam lobe wear, takes 20 minutes or less.
Ditto. I think you'll get the better bargain there.

Another tip is to be patient. Cars are coming up for sale all the time. Prices aren't going up, and the best selection is generally in the colder months. If you are torn between these two, then maybe neither one is the car for you.

And check autotrader, the prices are higher than EBay but the process is less stressful and the prices can be negotiated down. There are always some very good cars listed here too. :shift:

·
Registered
126 Posts
BTW - look at ee.engineer's thread in this forum. The car he picked up had just 22k miles, he got the PPI done first, touring package, painted console, upgraded ECU, hard top, upgraded stereo, factory wing, never raced, 2 owners, switch blade, car cover and battery charger, and recently had all the fluids changed and it went for $26,500. There are a lot of options out there. Not saying you shouldn't bid though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the elise/exige is the one i was considering but its a little concerning to see zero bids - i.e. when i go to sell it .. not a lot of interest in this car -- maybe b/c the high millage. im not sure i want to be in the business of trying to sell w/ 80k miles in a few years.. is that car worth 25k? i've got a local dealership "looking" for one too -- anyone familiar with the place in Bethesda MD, EuroCars - .. thx for the info

·
Registered
126 Posts
Most of the bidding happens at close, if it a car is going to sell.

A lot of people will be familiar with Bethesda Euro as they sell Lotus' and there are not many dealerships that do.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Most of the bidding happens at close, if it a car is going to sell.
yeah, I NEVER bid on anything until the last 20 seconds. That keeps me from entering a "bidding war" and spending more than I wanted to. Sure, I lose a lot of cool stuff but I never get buyers remorse anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts