The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some info on the BFG R1's in case you guys want some:

My all-purpose setup is LSS wheels with Falken 615's (215 front, 225 rear).

I got a track setup of 15X7 front and 17X8 rear Team Dynamics wheels with 225 BFG R1 front and 245 BFG R1 rear.

fitment: front is AOK, rear rubs on the inside, from 12:00 to 2:00. Removing some plastic fender liner brought this down to a very very slight rub.

Traction: well, not really a huge jump from the Falken's. I run the Falkens at 26lbs/28lbs cold, and I've tried the BFG's from 24-26 front and 26-28 rear. The BFG's just don't seem to have a big grip improvement on the road course, and I'm not sure why. I did the white chalk line on my tires, and I'm definetely using all the footpring. I did not meaure hot temps, but hot pressures were 30-32 ish.

On my buddie's MR2, I got to drive the same track on Falken 615's, followed by Kumho V710. The Kumhos definetely felt great, and were worth a few seconds. Any ideas why I didn't feel this drastic difference from Falkens to BFG's on my Elise?

Also, the BFG's chirp and squeal on corners that the 710's made no noise at all. Not sure why, but they talk a lot for a R-compound.

Any insight/experiences of yours would be appreciated.

cheers

·
Registered
652 Posts
Apparently, those tires cannot be driven into the appropriate heat range which may explain the lack of grip. I have driven an M3 w/ BFG R1s and the car was considerably better/faster than RA-1s. Also, local VW guys are running R1s w/ great success. Both of those cars are considerably heavier than the Elise, btw.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My experience with the R1's has been very positive. ~1 seconds faster than A048 and ~2 seconds faster than RA-1. ~4 seconds faster than Falkens. All in 205f/225r. No problem getting heat into them in those widths and unable to overheat them (temps run between RA-1 and A048). Invest in or borrow a pyrometer to figure out pressuers. Chalk lines just won't work very well. I would run 20 cold in the front or lower and 25 cold in the rear. Use the pyrometer to get the pressures just right. If you still don't like them, sell them to me. Great choice in wheel sizes since almost every tire is available in 225/45-15 plus 235&245/40-17.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My free opinion (remember, you get what you pay for)

About equal lap times:

R888 at their best (shaved and very low heat cycles)
BFG R1 after high 20's heat cycles
Hoosier R6 low teens heat cycles

The R1's are the best value for me for longevity except for the two sets of used R6's I purchased on this forum. However, I seem to heat cycle out tires faster than most others on the Elise. I just switched to Hoosier A6 for Time Trial. Rummor has it that they wear out before they heat cycle out. So the A6 might end up being the best value.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts