The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bi-turbo Tuning Results

My colleague just finished tuning a 1999 3.5L V8. Check out the torque...:crazyeyes

lotus bi turbo.JPG

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Do you tune bi-turbos differently than the straight ones?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What did he change/do?
One thing we do is OEM tuning. Among other things we increased the boost/altered the integral wastegate.

·
My car sneezes
656 Posts
What do you mean OEM tunning? Lotus ECU/parts?

Also does your dyno read low? Those number look very low even for stock.

This is what a stock well running '97-'03 should dyno ('04 usually dyno higher):

This is what a '97-'03 should dyno with a ECU (High Torque, Red or Johan's),filters & high flow exhaust ('04's dyno very simillar to this too):

Here is my '04 V8 with air filters, Johan's ECU (RED/High Torque hybrid), Blitz boost controller, HKS blow-off valves, straight exhaust, upgraded wastegates and SnowPerformance water injection running at 15psi boost tappering down to ~ 13psi by redline:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"What do you mean OEM tunning? Lotus ECU/parts?"
I mean reprogramming the stock Lotus ECU parameters; that's it.

"Also does your dyno read low? Those number look very low even for stock."
No, Dynapack and Rototest are pretty much industry standard. They both attach to the hubs and eliminate variables that are found on less expensive dynos that can tend to read high. Some of those variables include: wheel/tire weight, tire slippage, the condition of the drum's bearings, car to dyno strapping torque, etc.

If you add the 10% DynoJet (customer relations) factor back into the equation you arrive at a number close to ours. 290*1.1=320 whp. And that number equates nicely with what the factory reported as well: 350 bhp and 295 ft lb torque. Just use a drive-train loss factor of 15%.

Here is my '04 V8 with air filters, Johan's ECU (RED/High Torque hybrid), Blitz boost controller, HKS blow-off valves, straight exhaust, upgraded wastegates and SnowPerformance water injection running at 15psi boost tappering down to ~ 13psi by redline"
The car I posted was stock: no CAI, exhaust, electronic boost controllers, intercooler or water/meth injection. All that was altered was the ECU programming demonstrating what we can do with OEM tuning. No CEL or OBD issues!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just screw in the wastegate's adjuster rod so the wastegate can barely open, put in good fuel and... 500+ at the rear wheel. simple & cost effective - specially with forged pistons.
Say Mendoza, I'm back in So.Cal. and my 04 is nearly done (at Viking) - we need to get together and hit a trackday some time soon!!! I also look foward to putting it on a dyno after it is broken-in (I predict... 510 @ 18psi.) BTW anyone - why are all these dyno runs cutting power at about 6700 rpm? my car has always kept pulling harder and harder to at least 7400 and on several occasions went all the way to 8000. It usually cut fuel at about 7600 in the upper gears and I always short shifted 2nd & 3rd.
My friends 04 was dyno'd when it was dead stock with about 2500 miles on it: 373 bhp. I need to ask him if he still has his print out.

·
My car sneezes
656 Posts
DMH, if your dyno reads low, then your numbers are right in line with what they should be given the weak wastegates. Congrats on cracking the code.

Kirk, def. We can at least go for a drive. I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Whoops, my mistake. I said in my last post that my friends 04 dyno'd stock at 373bhp - I was wrong. I just spoke with him and he said it made exactly 350bhp. at the wheels which puts it more in line with others.
I always like to tell the truth...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My turbo is not working properly. Its giving me minnimal boost after it was worked on. Really need your valuable expert opinion. Thanks in advance!
Give me a call tomorrow. Contact info is on the web page. Click below.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts