The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cousin is is currently in the market for his first LOTUS> But we have been having major problems trying to find insurance.

Well through his quest to find insurance we have confirmed now that two Big insurance companies have DROPPED Lotus off their plans.

I figured we could use a thread to keep track of these insurance agencies as insuring your LOTUS seems to be becoming more and more of a problem. As the numerous high claims come rolling in.

INSURANCE COMPANIES that say no to LOTUS
-GEICO
-NATIONWIDE

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Disclaimer: What I state below is a matter of opinion, and is in no way a representation of the facts. It is purely for entertainment purposes.

Wawanesa does not currently say NO to Lotus, but if you have a claim, they try to lowball the body shop you pick.

If you let them pick the body shop, they want you to take it to a place with little or almost NO experience with a Lotus. Who would want to leave their cars in the hands of those body shops?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
GEICO is just fine with my Lotus, I've been with them for years, have insured the Lotus with them for the past 4 years, and they have been great !

Insurance companies do decide to endorse or not endorse based upon the driver history, and this may be a factor here, I don't know.

EDIT: It sounds like they're not writing NEW policies on them. But existing policies are okay. At least, that's the case with me and we just confirmed this.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I had GEICO when I lived in NJ a year ago. Weird. I live in MA now, and the good thing here is insurance companies cannot say NO to any current make if they want to do business here.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Insurance does vary greatly from state to state, you may want to update your list to include states

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
EDIT: It sounds like they're not writing NEW policies on them. But existing policies are okay. At least, that's the case with me and we just confirmed this.
Geico called me incessantly last week trying to write a policy for my Exige. I went with Wawanesa as it's roughly half the cost and their commercials don't irritate me. :D I'm in CA, fwiw.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
try getting a TVR insured..... my insurance company had to write a policy for a car the "didn't exist" - an interesting side note is that post federal catalyst TVR's never got an stamp or plaque that they were catalyst equipped :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I just got Geico in January.

I live in AZ.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is most recent news. Like as of yesterday.

So MA has a law insurance companies must offer insurance on any current make and model>?

Thats kind of odd.

Well thus far the list includes all states except MA. -poke-

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GEICO is just fine with my Lotus, I've been with them for years, have insured the Lotus with them for the past 4 years, and they have been great !

Insurance companies do decide to endorse or not endorse based upon the driver history, and this may be a factor here, I don't know.

Your grandfathered in.

Same with nationwide.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Your grandfathered in.

Same with nationwide.
there was a thread on here saying that Geico wasn't writing new policies on Lotus' last October too.

January came and I got insurance through them. yay. maybe it is a state thing.

as a matter of fact, I just went on their website and tried an anonymous quote and found the lotus without issue.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats odd. I will recall geico and get to the bottom of this.

Can anyone find a link to the old thread about geico in october>?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive read through that thread. Its from december. And i dont see anything about geico not writing new lotus policies.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Since I can't find the thread either, here are a couple of screen shots showing the Lotus as an option, and the Elise & Exige as a listed vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
there was a thread on here saying that Geico wasn't writing new policies on Lotus' last October too.

January came and I got insurance through them. yay. maybe it is a state thing.

as a matter of fact, I just went on their website and tried an anonymous quote and found the lotus without issue.
Website and Geico internal systems are not updated. I got a quote directly from Geico everything fine. Call and ask an underwriter to make it official and they say No Lotus will be insured from here on out. Lotus has been dropped

P.S. I'm the guy looking to buy the car...was going to today but now I have to find a quote for the Lotus that is reasonable and will actually hold

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Website is not updated. I got a quote directly from Geico. Call and ask an underwriter to make it official and they say No Lotus will be insured from here on out.

P.S. I'm the guy looking to buy the car...was going to today but now I have to find a quote for the Lotus that is reasonable and will actually hold
I guess it's conceivable that their website has not been updated since October.

I did mine through the website in January. no fuss. mo muss.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I keep seeing ads for this "21st Century Insurance", their spiel is "Customize your insurance to fit your needs, why over pay for coverage you dont need"

I imagine it goes the other way too, I was going to look into a policy that covers track days, if possible. Will report back

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
re: the earlier comments about Massachusetts.

It might have changed since I moved, but when I was there 5 years ago, no Geico in Massachusetts.

It was amusing because the local TV stations served all of New England and you would see a lot of Geico tv commercials, despite the fact that they did not do business in Massachusetts.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts