The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get on here much but I need some advice from the experts

I am a Canadian Citizen living in Tennessee, I am currently here on a work visa and own a 2006 Elise...

Here is the problem, my company is selling out and the new company is not exercising my option to renew my visa, therefore I have to move back to Canada :facepalm

Is there any way I can take my car home with me? I know it's not on the import list, is it possible to keep it registered here and drive it in Canada, or will they not even let me cross the border with it...

What a terrible situation, any advice would help I do not want to sell it!!! :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Depends how long you think you're going to be in Canada.

If you plan to move back to US somehow soon(via a work permit or a ring), you can maybe keep it registered and insured in US for the time being, as long as you have an address there.
You wont have any problem crossing the border or driving it in Canada.
You also want to check your insurance policy, as most of them do cover you in foreign countries (Canada in this case) but your stay in Canada must not be over 6 months per year.

If you don't plan on going back to US, or just don't know when, you don't have any other solution than selling the car.

When my ex-gf and I moved together in Montreal from Boston, we kept our car registered in Massachussets, using her parent's address there.
We crossed the border a million times and never we were asked any question about the car.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
as long as your registration doesnt expire you will be okay. I have family in Ontario and when we visit they just ask for registration and asks who the car belongs to and thats it. I have not been pulled over by canadas finest so I do not know what ramifications there will be in that situation. As long as you dont tell them you live in canada you will be fine.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Put a big Toronto Maple Leafs logo on it and it will be welcomed with open arms! :)

Seriously though, I'm not certain.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Do you have a friend here that you can use as a mailing address to get the registration renewal at his home? Then just change registration address changed to his address.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Do you have a friend here that you can use as a mailing address to get the registration renewal at his home? Then just change registration address changed to his address.
It's a good temporary solution, but I'm quite sure insurance wont cover for any vehicle out of the country for more than 6 months per year, which is not that much of a big deal as long as you don't have any accident/claim.

If he leaves US for good, might as well put the car for sale now and be prepared to put an extra few $k to get a Canadian Lotus

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It's a good temporary solution, but I'm quite sure insurance wont cover for any vehicle out of the country for more than 6 months per year, which is not that much of a big deal as long as you don't have any accident/claim.

If he leaves US for good, might as well put the car for sale now and be prepared to put an extra few $k to get a Canadian Lotus
Just did an autotrader search - looks like 5-6 Eliges still for sale. Also shocked to see the 2014 Evora S models going for $123 + tax = $141k at Gentry Lane. Insane!!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
That's a question to ask a registery office in Canada, they should be able to give you an answer. The CBSA (border security) may also be of assistance. Here's a couple links I found that may help. Worth getting an opinion from a insurance company in Canada.
BSF5048 : Importing a Vehicle Into Canada
https://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx

I think you might have to sell yours and buy a Canadian car to be legal. Consider the personal liability if something bad were to happen...lots of risk to your networth.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just did an autotrader search - looks like 5-6 Eliges still for sale. Also shocked to see the 2014 Evora S models going for $123 + tax = $141k at Gentry Lane. Insane!!!
$141,000 for an Evora seems a bit steep, actually it's a lot steep.-eek- I don't need one nearly that bad.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry, but you will have to sell...

The insurance is an issue, and it's a definite no-no to import (not on list). And if you cross borders with the car, be careful of choosing to say where you live, as the border folks might think suspicious if you have a US plated car and say you live somewhere in Canada...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes that's all what I didn't want to hear... As of now it looks like I won't be living south of the border again any time soon...

Now here is one more scenario, it is an 06 so what if I keep it in storage down here and visit a couple times a year to take it for a drive.... Will it ever be allowed to be imported or will it forever be forced to stay in the US?

I have no problem keeping it in storage for however long if I can eventually take it home...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yes that's all what I didn't want to hear... As of now it looks like I won't be living south of the border again any time soon...

Now here is one more scenario, it is an 06 so what if I keep it in storage down here and visit a couple times a year to take it for a drive.... Will it ever be allowed to be imported or will it forever be forced to stay in the US?

I have no problem keeping it in storage for however long if I can eventually take it home...
I think the Canadian import list goes away after 15 years, so you could bring it up there in 2021 or 2022, provided they don't change the law in between, which I think they're trying to do.

Risky bet and I'd just sell it and buy another, sad as it is :(

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,662 Posts
Sorry for the tough break man.

I think I read that they are considerably more expensive in Canada. I hope you can somehow get it sorted out man. peacb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts