The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*First, if you know the back story, let’s keep that out of this thread. I would really like to keep this positive! If you don’t know the back story, I had my front clam replaced a year ago by a different shop and was not happy with the paint, hence the car being repainted by Mulholland. I did have the other shop’s cooperation so let’s leave it at that.*

Julio from Mulholland Motorsports contacted me offering his help with my car. He was sympathetic to my predicament and VERY flexible regarding payment. He was willing to work with me no matter how things turned out. I decided I really needed non-biased opinions and took my car to 3 shops. All 3 shops pointed out almost the same things regarding the paint, but the first shop would only repaint the entire car, the second shop would do the work if I “forced them” but really did not want to get involved, and the third shop (Mulholland) was willing to do as little paint work as possible to the car.

This time around, I decided to check out customer’s cars before settling on a shop. I checked out ErictheBastard’s car which is chrome orange and repaired by Mulholland, and a few other cars repaired by Mulholland but not chrome orange. A few people also contacted me in private to recommend Mulholland. Due to Julio’s attitude and his previous work, I decided to take my car to him.

When I dropped off my car, I told Julio that I did not care how long it took. Whatever time he needed to get it done right is the time he had. He got to work on it right away. It took his painter some time to match the original paint but when he did, Julio called me and gave me the paint stick to bring home and compare to my original front clam. Once he received our approval, the sander came out! He stripped/sanded my front clam, access panels, fenders, and doors. Originally he attempted to not sand down my whole door so he would not have to blend into my rear clam, but he had to redo the whole door and blend into my rear clam. The second shop that viewed my car previously told me they would have had to do this as well so I knew this may happen.

Anyhow, all said and done, I am absolutely THRILLED with my car again and it looks FABULOUS! To be fair, I have gone through the entire car and the only thing I can find is a touch of clear overspray on my windshield that will probably take him 5 seconds to clean. When my car returns to him in a few weeks for it’s final polish, he will remove it.

I can not thank Julio enough for ending my nightmare. I was absolutely terrified to pick up my car because I was sooo afraid of what it might look like. When I saw it, I could have hugged Julio, but I kept my composure and did not, maybe to Julio’s disappointment lol. I share these photos as a small token of my appreciation.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stripped…

Attachments

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Primered. Rear clam original paint with clear coat removed. I know the rear clam is not repainted because I had a paint chip on my rear clam that is still there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I personally followed the progress of your car while it was at mulholland. It was awesome to see it go through each step (even the curing stage) and I was even lucky enough to watch the painter in the booth from the little window. Last time I saw it was when they were just putting on the final bits and would love to see the final car out at one of our meets.

It's strange to feel so attached to someone else's car, but it looks beautiful. Glad you finally have it back!

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
d-onion do you go to the dinners? I planned to be at next weeks since I have the week off of school so I can make it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
She looked great at Willow on Sunday. SO happy to see the two of you reunited! :) (I hope to join that club today.)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
...maybe to Julio’s disappointment...
^ Most definitely.

You have no idea how happy I am that this turned out so well for you. I'll let RoadKid #1 know when she gets home from school today. She was very saddened by the previous events. I'm sure she'll be as happy for you as I am.

:nanner::nanner::nanner:

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you RoadDad! No doubt we are all happy to have this behind us so we can move forward and enjoy our great little cars. :D

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
:up: nice job !

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
wow, stripping the front clam is a lot of labor!!! Car looks fantastic!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I saw your car there when mine was getting mods done by Julio also. 100% agreed on the outstanding work by Julio and his crew - besides, he's a really nice guy and straightforward.

The best advertising comes from happy customers!

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
+1

And massive respect for April for taking a freshly painted car out on the track!

:clap:
+2

April,

Car looked great and Julio did a wonderful job. :bow:

They cured/baked the paint properly so that the clear bra could be put on the car before the Lotus Cup weekend.

·
shay2nak
25,131 Posts
glad you're finally done with the car and are happy. :up:

·
Anthony
604 Posts
My Elise has a lot of sentimental value, and I trust very few people to work on it. But Julio has always gone above and beyond for me in all respects, treating my car like it's his own. Glad he delievered for you too -- your car looks brand new!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts