The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Raid Daytona wheel from him and the transaction was extremely easy.

It's good to know that we have outstanding and honest people on this forum. One day I hope to meet some of the faces behind the screen names.

-Doc

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Calvin is truly a great guy...despite being over two thousand miles away, I have had the honor of meeting him in person (along with many other famous LOONs) and ridden in his previous red Esprit. I have known him a looooong time. Actually, all the LOONs are outstanding :)

Always fun to meet the actual people behind the screen names in person and see their Esprits...it's a great feeling!

Roy

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Pics or it didnt happen! :)

Nice buy!

·
Cal H
982 Posts
LOL Kenny he just opened the Fedex box today.

Well the long time Lotus owners do have sort of an unwritten honor code. Not sure if a certain type of people buy the car or if the marque makes people band together. Either way the Lotus community is not one to mess around with. It is too small, once you are labeled, either good or bad the perception will be hard to shake.

I enjoy meeting people in the real world and seeing their cars as each car has a personality and distinct traits. There are many that have taken extended road trips around the USA and elsewhere to meet up with other owners in the real world. I would like it very much if one day I could take such a trip and have a good car talk over a few drinks.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
LOL Kenny he just opened the Fedex box today.

Well the long time Lotus owners do have sort of an unwritten honor code. Not sure if a certain type of people buy the car or if the marque makes people band together. Either way the Lotus community is not one to mess around with. It is too small, once you are labeled, either good or bad the perception will be hard to shake.

I enjoy meeting people in the real world and seeing their cars as each car has a personality and distinct traits. There are many that have taken extended road trips around the USA and elsewhere to meet up with other owners in the real world. I would like it very much if one day I could take such a trip and have a good car talk over a few drinks.
AGREED! It is the only group other than 928 owners I have come to feel same way about it. To the extent that while perusing Vulcan Grey's posts noticed he was at F1 last year in Austin, we went last year and are this year (our oldest son lives in Austin) so I emailed him to see if he would be coming this year so could meet him,

And, seeing as I have not been on here all that long (closing in on a year and a half) I am in the "good" perception camp! :)

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Calvin is truly a great guy...despite being over two thousand miles away, I have had the honor of meeting him in person (along with many other famous LOONs) and ridden in his previous red Esprit. I have known him a looooong time. Actually, all the LOONs are outstanding :)

Always fun to meet the actual people behind the screen names in person and see their Esprits...it's a great feeling!

Roy
He's a lot closer to me than two thousand miles, and he still looks good from here.

We always wondered if Calvin was a previous owner of my Europa (and all the idiot mods were done after him and before me), but he didn't keep a record of the serial number so we'll never know.

Proud to be a LOON.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hi Phil!
It was truly great to meet you as well...had the most wonderful time at Brit's Pub with all of you and will never forget all the kindness extended to me by all the LOONs...it has been so many years (time flies!!!) and I still remember it like it was yesterday...thanks again :)

Roy

·
Cal H
982 Posts
He's a lot closer to me than two thousand miles, and he still looks good from here.

We always wondered if Calvin was a previous owner of my Europa (and all the idiot mods were done after him and before me), but he didn't keep a record of the serial number so we'll never know.

Proud to be a LOON.
I'm fairly certain that the Europa was mine as back in 74. I knew who had the other Lotus cars on the islands. At one time I had the bragging rights of owning 25% of Lotus cars in the islands (three of them). The Europa was originally brought back from Europe by a friends brother once stationed there at an Air Force base. I was the 2nd owner in 74 and had repaired a hole in the driver side floor caused by road debris. Phil's former car had the same repair on the floor. I sold the car to a person from Kauai who a few years later moved to Colorado. He also bought a 65 Elan that I sold to him. I lost track of the cars after that.

This is the way the Europa looked like when I had it

2 other Europa's both twin cams from the islands also made it back to the mainland USA with departing military relocating back home. A black 5 speed ending up in the Chicago area I lost track of it one sometime in mid 2000's and the a white 4 speed to Detroit which was later stolen and disappeared in the late 80's.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Hmm. Original color on my 1970 model-year Lotus 65 car was Lotus Yellow 07. I found that color while sanding the car and it shows on the data plate. Car was made in November 1969 and has the old-style serial number (numbering system changed on Jan 1 1970).

I bought the car from a guy in Minnesota who had bought it on Oahu when he was there for a bridge project. He had it shipped to Seattle after he was back here. I did meet the last Hawaiian owner (who had done some of the crazy mods) in his home a couple of blocks south of Sunset Beach in December 1991. He had bought the car on Oahu.

Your photo does not look like Lotus Yellow 07. If your next owner brought the car to Colorado that is another reason to think it is not the same car. What I don't know is when my car came to Oahu.

I'm fairly certain that the Europa was mine as back in 74. I knew who had the other Lotus cars on the islands. At one time I had the bragging rights of owning 25% of Lotus cars in the islands (three of them). The Europa was originally brought back from Europe by a friends brother once stationed there at an Air Force base. I was the 2nd owner in 74 and had repaired a hole in the driver side floor caused by road debris. Phil's former car had the same repair on the floor. I sold the car to a person from Kauai who a few years later moved to Colorado. He also bought a 65 Elan that I sold to him. I lost track of the cars after that.

This is the way the Europa looked like when I had it

2 other Europa's both twin cams from the islands also made it back to the mainland USA. A black 5 speed ending up in the Chicago area I lost track of it one sometime in mid 2000's and the a white 4 speed to Detroit which was later stolen and disappeared in the late 80's.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Was the the Hawaiian owner Kirk or kurt or something like that with a K or C?
And if it had the original block did it have a helicoil in cyl 2 or 3 left side?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Was the the Hawaiian owner Kirk or kurt or something like that with a K or C?
I don't think so. He worked for ComSat on their ground staton at the top of the mountain. His house was lined up with the ComSat Road, just across the highway.

I have a videotape somewhere of our meeting (that's the kind of guy he was, he taped our meeting at his house and gave me a copy).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Awesome to hear that our community is great group...I am thankful for these forums and the people behind the usernames. Great group we are!

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not only are many people here exceptional at helping noobs like me. They are also great at thread hijacking. LOL. I love it! :clap:

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pics or it didnt happen! :)

Nice buy!
Here it is. Finished at around 01:00 this morning. Also hardwired my V1 and learned a little more about how this car is put together. I'm quite impressed at the overall build quality of the Esprit. I have a few mods that I want to do and will be trying to source some extra OEM interior parts.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts