The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I totally get the concerns over fix-it tickets and the risk of an over-investigative ref, but are there more significant concerns also?

What about getting in an accident and being refused coverage by your insurance company for having illegal mods?

One stage further - the accident is serious and someone is seriously injured or dies: are there additional ramifications over having an illegal supercharger, and hence an illegal vehicle?

I’m thinking of a Katana, and I can certainly sleep at night knowing it’s not CARB certified, but the insurance/accident scenario is troubling me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm confused. You are saying that modifications that increase horsepower are illegal and your insurance company can deny coverage in the event of an accident because of them?

I know that's the case in the UK, but we're not in the UK...:shrug:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
And if you create a new user account to ask the question, they can't trace you. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL! - Waaaay too much humour on this board.

Took me hours to set up another user account.

Simply put, I was just wondering about an Insurance Company potentially refusing to pay up on the grounds that the car they insured was no longer the car I was driving.
Along that line, I recently pointed out to my insurers that my Range Rover Sport was actually Supercharged, not the HSE that was on my certificate. “Good job you told us that”, they said “as you might have had an issue if you’d crashed it and we’d noticed”.

Probably BS, but that’s what I’m trying to determine here. No, they probably wouldn’t find out, but if they did, after a write-off for example, then what?

Also, I wonder if there is a negative angle to injuring someone with a vehicle that isn’t road legal. In an injury situation I imagine the offending car is gone over with a fine toothcomb, and if the car was discovered to be road-illegal I can see the situation getting very dark very quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buzzy - As I understand it, The Katana is explicitly "for track use only", hence my Sherlock Holmes-like deduction that it's illegal on the road.

I'm really coming across as an over-cautious law-abiding wanker on this thread. Apologies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts