The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm new here!!

A few years ago (probably in 2005-2006) I was walking the streets of the Twin Cities and came across a Red Elise. From that moment on I fell in love with Lotus. I'm 19 now and currently I drive a 2007 Ford Mustang which I also love (and am fortunate enough to have). Once I can get a steady job the first thing I'm buying is a used Elise. I would trade in my Mustang right now and take a loan out but I simply can't afford that at this time... :shrug: Although I have seen some Elise's go on eBay for $21K!

Anyways I hope to hang around here as much as I'm on some Mustang forums :p

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...hey, welcome aboard!..

...make certain to thoroughly investigate insurance costs as you plan for your lotus - they can really sting folks in your demographic caught off-guard...

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Welcome Max! But as for being the biggest Lotus fan...ever, well, as you read through here, you're going to see some stiff competition for that title!

At 19, I had a bicycle. You're doing great already!

Tom

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha. I think about Lotus (and cars in general) far too much... it's unhealthy!

...m... If I got a Lotus I definitely wouldn't put it in my name, probably my parents and hopefully get a bit lower costs.

I'm hoping to become an Air Traffic Controller within the next 1-3 years depending if I get hired off the streets or if I go to school for it. My first months pay for that will probably end up being my down payment on a Lotus haha. (Although I know my girlfriend would shoot me for that)

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I have to say, it is amazing how many teens and 20 somethings have appeared on this forum lately telling us how they did or are going to put their cars on their parents insurance. Uhm, you aren't a kid anymore! You are no longer their responsibility! Am I the only one that thinks this?

Senior year in high school, my parents added me to their insurance for one day. When the rates were raised on all of the vehicles, they took me off of it. I took the bus to school instead.

And for the record, I am still a 20 something. :p

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
If you are the biggest Lotus fan ever, you will not be able to fit in the car :panic:

Trade the Mustang for a Miata or an MR2 Spyder, if you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford a Lotus

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
If you are the biggest Lotus fan ever, you will not be able to fit in the car :panic:

Trade the Mustang for a Miata or an MR2 Spyder, if you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford a Lotus
+1 and rotfl

you cant just walk in here and claim to the biggest lotus fan ever..:p we have some big fans of lotus on this site..just fyi :D

my parents never had me on their insurance, when i was 16 i got my own insurance which my parents paid for and when i was 18 they told me to pay it on my own. BTW i'm also still 20something :p lol

Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Haha, I'm 20 and drive a '91 Miata. Yes, I have Lotus Envy, but I can live with what I've got, ;). Frankly, coming from a Mustang, this doesn't sound like the best idea...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Welcome aboard, my only advice is to not fall victim to those ~21K elises selling on ebay, there is certainly a reason they are selling so low. I have made the mistake of buying on what to me seemed like "a good deal" before and will never do it again. Extra $$$ up front is worth the peace of mind and savings on later repairs.

Just an example to back me up, I bought a Lemon law'd 03 cobra. Ran pretty good for me, had it for `10 months. Took a guy out on a test drive when selling it, and it blew the radiator cap off for no reason, never did it again after that, but I was happy to rid myself of it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I definitely appreciate more than one type of car!!

I actually looked into an MR2 Spyder but I really dislike the rear-end's of those cars for some reason.

As for parents and insurance well I am fortunate and my parents still help me out with that! I do a lot of stuff to help them out though too ;) I realize I am an adult but anyway to save $$ is something to look at IMO.

Within the next two months I plan on doing two mods to my Mustang. A Shaker500 sound system with a 6-disc cd changer and FRPP Dual Exhaust (which can be heard here: YouTube - 4.0 Mustang w/ dual FRPP GTA ). It's got the deep throaty sound that a Muscle car should have. :D And it's fairly cheap. :D

Aside from the Mustang and back onto the Lotus...

For those of you with a Lotus do you get lots of comments about them or peoples following you around??

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I don't know about following, but you definately get people looking, taking pictures, saying nice car, asking about it, and trying to race you. :p But sometimes you get the haters too though. I took my car to a concert once. I'll never do it again. I parked in the VIP section hoping it would be left alone. Nope. You know those thick flyers of upcoming raves and such that they hand out to you on the way out and everyone just tosses onto the ground? Well, people decided to completely cover my car with them. I was pissed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I called the USAA insurance program the other day and got a quote for a little over 100$ a month to insure an elise

=D

·
Registered
214 Posts
For OP: Had a Camaro for years that I loved--then I saw the first picture of an Elise. For almost two weeks I resisted a constant barrage from folks around me, "you should bid on the one on Ebay" until I gave in. Got in behind the wheel of the first Lotus and have not left it since. There is no comparison to an American muscle car.

For Alex, in re insruance costs: So much depends on location and driving history, but as a middle aged male I pay less than $100/month to insure three cars in one of the higher rated urban areas in PA.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome! I love turning heads while driving around... I'm In a small town so there's not too many nice cars, the nicest is a brand new Evo. I gave that guy a compliment!! My mustang turns quote a bit of heads and people that wanna race... I couldn't imagine how many a lotus turns! Anyone on here from mn? I've seen a few via the search feature

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
under the subject of this thread.. anyone ever fan (or crazy) enough to get a Lotus tattoo?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts