The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting a 2005 Lotus Elise Sport/HT and I should have it next week. Wahoo, I am so excited. Has anyone put a bike rack on top. I know people will bash a bit for it, but I live 30 miles from work and the mountain bike trail I ride at is only 2 miles from work. If it is a nice day I want to dirve the Lotus to work, but I also like to ride 4-6 times a week. I do not want to give up riding or driving the Lotus. I would think I could make something that would make a hitch type of rack to work in the back or I might be able to get a bike rack for the hard top. Any ideas?

I was also wondering if anyone who has a bike thinks if I take off the two wheels and seat/post would it fit in the trunk?

I can not wait to get the car.

Thanks
Troy

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Some have, yeah.

Bike racks, surfboards, Christmas trees...

Gotta search around here though.

Trunk is way small.

Just remember that fiberglass can start making fine cracks in odd places when you aren't paying attention...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Some have, yeah.

Bike racks, surfboards, Christmas trees...

Gotta search around here though.

Trunk is way small.

Just remember that fiberglass can start making fine cracks in odd places when you aren't paying attention...

Try: racksthatsuck.com for a non evasive variety.

·
Registered
564 Posts
you may consider buying a boxster,as it can take racks on top

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I think one of the older ones I saw here put a huge hole in the rear clam

Remember to get the rear clam replaced (clam+paint+install) can run over $10k

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
There are two options out there that I know of. One from a few years ago requires a hole in the rear clam. More recently LT member Graydon developed the suction cup style at the above linked racksthatsuck.com. There are pics and details of both here that should come up with a search.

I'm curious if anyone has tried out the suction cup style yet. Anybody?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Didn't RoadDad move a bunch of copper pipe on the top of his Elise before? I mean if he can do that I don't see how a bike would be an issue. rotfl

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Well theres been a christmas tree and a surfboard posted. Both strapped around the soft top.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I've thought about it, but wouldn't do it. After seeing how much stress my bike rack puts on my other car, bike shaking back and forth, I wouldn't wanna put that kinda stress on my lotus. If you use the suction cup method, it would kinda shake and move the front windshield and I would be afraid to crack the glass. Going on or through the clams I think would be worse. I think a surf board or even one of my whitewater boats on top of the lotus would be better then a tall bike that rocks back and forth.

Haven't tried, but wonder if there's a way to rig up a rack to hold the bike on the passenger side of the car with the seat removed, maybe put a suction cup style mount on top of the roll bar area and then mount the other end where the passenger seat would be.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW, that Unique Rack looked great until I saw the price $1500. OMG, I just about @*$% myself. I mean if I can get a regular roof rack with all the locks and dual racks for 300-400 then I would expect to pay more because it is a specific one for our cars, so maybe $500 would be reasonble, but what the heck.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would this be possible? Use a hitch type bike rack and have the bottom portion go into the bottom portion where the exhaust goes. I could make a y type of hitch bracket that could bolt to the frame under there and work itself around the exhaust. I woudl think bolting it to the frame would be possible and it would not have to be some big beafy item as It would only be holding like 60-70lbs max with two heavy bikes and the bike rack itself. This way it would cost like $200-250.

·
Registered
712 Posts
^^^
Not a good idea. You would be better off to attach a trailer instead (less stressful to your car). I remember someone has done this before to carry 4 extra wheels to the race track.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Personally I would not ever consider adding a bike rack to the Elise, just the wrong car for it.

If you really have to, I would not trust anything that uses suction cups to secure a bike rack.

I would look into this thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/lotus-tow-package-o-57603/

and maybe ask turbophil to make it where you can attach a hitch mounted bike rack. If thats not possible, its just not meant to be. :shrug:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked at the hitch thread and I think if the hitch is strong enough for a trailer with bumps and all then it should be strong enough for a bike rack.

I think I figured out a way to put a bike rack on the back and be plenty strong enough to work out great. I get the car in a week and that is the first mod, of many, that I will putting on the car and I will be doing that right away. I post all info once it is done.

I also would not be able to bring myself to cut holes in the clam to make it work, that is just not a realistic viable option for me. I will only do a bolt on idea. The suction cup thing just scares the hell out of me for my own bike and the biker/rack flying down the road hitting another car.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
As a fellow cyclist, I can relate to your problem, but I agree with others that the Elise is not the car to use to haul a bike. You might want to consider keeping a bike at work if they'll let you, then ride to the bike trail after work. When you're done, ride back to work, lock up your bike, then drive home. If you need the bike on weekends, drive a beater car (or your old one if you plan to keep it) on Mondays and Fridays to transport your bike to/from work.

I like driving my Elise, but would never consider butchering it up with a bike rack. Transporting bikes is what my '87 Nissan pickup or '96 Maxima with a hitch-mounted rack are for. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that this isn't going to turn out well....

Amarao, it all fell off :D.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I ride a small framed road bike and couldn't get close to squeezing the parts in, even with the top off. In desperation I was able to fit the bike in my s2000, but not the Elise. So I bought a Honda Fit for the bike and crap. There will be damage if you try to squeeze things in there.

nmg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts