The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In hopes of preventing text-related accidents, Illinois is considering a bill that would outlaw using wireless devices while crossing the street.

The legislation, HB 4520, was introduced in January by Rep. Ken Dunkin, D- Chicago, who said: “This legislation is not laughable. On the surface it’s like, ‘Oh wow, what is this?’ But it’s becoming more and more of a common problem with people haplessly crossing an intersection and almost killing themselves.”

I think this legislation is laughable and moronic. What do you think??

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
agreed... there are too many safeguards in place
back in the day if you werent on top of your game you got eaten and the gene pool was kept pretty clean... now it seems there isnt anything to keep people from peeing in the pool

mcdonalds doesnt need to remind you that coffee that is not iced coffee is very hot... if you spill it and ruin your ability to procreate its better for the species...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I think we're rapidly reaching the point where the technology that's widely available, useful, and sometimes necessary for modern life is unusable by a large fraction of the population. Complexity is going up, quality of education and common sense is going down...

Frankly, I'm enjoying this (but I shouldn't be)...

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Heh... Michigan needs a law that bans texting while driving !!..... ( of course they never enforce anything in Michigan anyway )

·
Registered
443 Posts
A New York moment:

I saw a guy talking on a cellphone, all involved in the conversation, using his hands to emphasize points, and totally oblivious to anything else. The only problem was he was in the middle of 42nd Street, with traffic whizzing (okay, moving) around him.

He would be eligible for a Darwin Award if he got killed. Otherwise, he's just making it a little harder for the drivers around him.

So, yes, because of idiots like this, it should be a law.

Dan

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
how does a law stop people being idiots ? unless its the laws of physics, but in my experience the laws of physics only help people achieve idiocy, never impede.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Complexity is going up, quality of education and common sense is going down...

Frankly, I'm enjoying this (but I shouldn't be)...
"If common sense is so common, why is there so little of it?" Mark Twain

A New York moment:

I saw a guy talking on a cellphone, all involved in the conversation, using his hands to emphasize points, and totally oblivious to anything else. The only problem was he was in the middle of 42nd Street, with traffic whizzing (okay, moving) around him.

He would be eligible for a Darwin Award if he got killed. Otherwise, he's just making it a little harder for the drivers around him.

So, yes, because of idiots like this, it should be a law.

Dan
Should we also outlaw eating while crossing crossing the road? How about drinking coffee, soda, etc while crossing the road? Where would it stop?

how does a law stop people being idiots ? unless its the laws of physics, but in my experience the laws of physics only help people achieve idiocy, never impede.
Charlie your question is probably rhetorical. If it isn't the answer is it doesn't, can't, won't . . .

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
hell, they don't enforce the laws we have!
just another club for a peeved officer to use only if he's feeling bad.
sam

·
Registered
855 Posts
If they would just make a law that we all have to stay at home, strapped to our couch, with a remote, no one would ever get hurt again......

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Although the proposed law sounds silly, there is a reason for it. A recent study has shown a huge increase in the number of people being treated in emergency rooms as a result of injuries sustained while texting - tripping, falling off curbs, running into poles, etc.

I'm sure that the person that proposed the law has good intentions, but it is really stupid. You can outlaw stupidity... :shrug:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Although the proposed law sounds silly, there is a reason for it. A recent study has shown a huge increase in the number of people being treated in emergency rooms as a result of injuries sustained while texting - tripping, falling off curbs, running into poles, etc.

I'm sure that the person that proposed the law has good intentions, but it is really stupid. You can outlaw stupidity... :shrug:
I don't think we should. We should let nature take it's course, don't screw with the environment... For a greener tomorrow let dumb people walk into certain death.

Gotta work on the green spin a little more... hmmm

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Tim
Let's think about a police officer trying to enforce that law. He sees a person crossing the street holding a cell phone. Is that person dialing to make a call, using his phone as a GPS device, receiving a call (maybe an emergency), receiving an email? Remember the law only involves people sending text messages. What a great way to use the limited amount of law enforcement personnel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts