The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was installing a set of bilstein shocks (LOTAC05397) and the issue I am having is the large washer that sits on top of the bump stop. It slides up and down on the shock piston and that makes me a bit nervous as I believe it would lead to premature shock failure. I have found previous threads with the same discussion but no conclusion. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi tmusc,
my new suspension not being the same, I just want to explain how that is done on mine for clarification purposes.
So, on the damperrod is at the top a thread for bushings, washers and the nut and lock nut to slide down over..
Looking down at the damper rod is a thick washer with a machined line in it. Below that is the bumpstop foam part - the white one.
The foam part can move, but the big washer above cannot, as there is a dimensional difference between the hole in that big washer and the diameter of the damper rod.
Once installed, it's firmly in place, and the big washer act as a base for the bump stop to lean on, if pressed upwards. The big machined washer cannot move down because of the rod being thicker from that point, and it cannot move upwards, as the whole damper is pressed upwards, and the lower poly buffer and it's accompanying special washers are mounted directly above. Outside that lower polybuffer and washers, at the same height, just larger in diameter, is a poly buffer ring to insulate for road noise. On the front suspension then comes the metal part with the 4 studs that secures the whole suspension to the chassis. Above that is the chassis plate, then the upper poly buffer and it's accompanying washers. Finally the two nuts to lock it all in place.

On the rear suspensio, the idea is basically the same, but just made a bit different. So, as the rear on mine has a helper spring (for extension), the sanwich plate between those two springs, the main and the helper spring, acts as a stop for the foam bumpstop.

Hope it's somehow explains it.
How is it made on you Lotac Bilstein damper?

Btw. I am going to visit a friend who have the same as you, so I'll ask him and take a look, and report back what I find out.

Cheers,
Redfox

And here's the rear:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Redfox for your response. I spoke with a Bilstein Engineer this morning for a good 1/2 hour about this. He said the washer that I am talking about is meant to ride on the shock shaft. The part of the shaft that the washer rides on will never get close to the seals of the shock. The shocks are close to the corvette setup and has been known to make some rattling sounds due to the washer riding on the shaft. So I feel alot better about the install now. The reason I decided on the Bilstein setup was just to keep the car as close to using all OEM parts as much as possible. A little more money but it is what it is. Thanks again for the response.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I spoke to my friend who have the same setup on his car, and he said that there is no problem installing the set. He didn't notice any rattling from said parts during driving or otherwise.
He also mentioned to remember to set the lower spring perch in it's lowest setting. THere are two and 10mm in difference. If not done so, the car may ride a little high.

Cheers,
Redfox.

·
Registered
56 Posts
After you finish, I would love to hear about any change in ride height.

What year car?

PS...I like your spring compressor. Lotus makes this so difficult.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, I will be able to tell you the ride height next week. Since the car was in the air I took the time to change the oil and keeping with my luck i overtorqued the drain sensor and broke it. Call to JAE monday morning. Necessity was the mother of invention with the spring compressor All the Stores here in Ontario are closed and could not find a spring compressor. The car is a 2002 btw.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AutoEurope in Michigan. But they were delivered directly from Lotus USA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts