The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is this

They also have over 3000 cars, which is suspicious. There is an Esprit listed with Nrvada plates, it is this car No Reserve: 1991 Lotus Esprit Turbo SE

Pics and description stolen from the BAT listing. It's a scam.
Thanks for the reply and the info. I had a feeling that the company was not legit. During the first few weeks of my search for an Esprit, I was in contact with a few "brokers" who claimed to have Esprits for sale. It turned out that they were scams. Bing Motors was the only other one that I was not sure about.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
1,369 Posts
Yeah, scammers are everywhere. I had to blow away an email account when I replied to an ad on CL years ago for an Elise. Sent them an email as requested (never do that again) and all I got was spam. It was just something to get your email address. I was looking for a Corolla XRS once. "Oh, I am in England and the car is in Georgia and I will ship it to you...." "Never give any money until the title is in your hands and the car is in your possession" is a pretty good rule to go by.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, scammers are everywhere. I had to blow away an email account when I replied to an ad on CL years ago for an Elise. Sent them an email as requested (never do that again) and all I got was spam. It was just something to get your email address. I was looking for a Corolla XRS once. "Oh, I am in England and the car is in Georgia and I will ship it to you...." "Never give any money until the title is in your hands and the car is in your possession" is a pretty good rule to go by.
That is a definitely a great rule! This will be the first time I'm buying a vehicle like this, and I have learned a ton over the last several weeks. I'm thankful I have not had to learn a lesson the hard way by falling for any scams. Thanks for the reply and the info. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
You are correct in being very suspicious. I am in the market for another car (not a Lotus this time) and because prices are so high, scammers are "coming out of the woodwork". They pull pictures off the internet and try to sell cars they don't have. One solution is to ask them for a picture of the car that they have not posted like the VIN tag or some other thing that if they don't have the car in their possession they can't do. If they start giving you reasons they can't do it, RUN! Best to see the car in person if possible.Give the smallest deposit you can negotiate. Use a credit card so if it is a scam maybe you can get the deposit back from the credit card company.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are correct in being very suspicious. I am in the market for another car (not a Lotus this time) and because prices are so high, scammers are "coming out of the woodwork". They pull pictures off the internet and try to sell cars they don't have. One solution is to ask them for a picture of the car that they have not posted like the VIN tag or some other thing that if they don't have the car in their possession they can't do. If they start giving you reasons they can't do it, RUN! Best to see the car in person if possible.Give the smallest deposit you can negotiate. Use a credit card so if it is a scam maybe you can get the deposit back from the credit card company.
David Teitelbaum
Thanks for the info and suggestions David. I appreciate that very much!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great thread. I am searching for an Esprit and actually contacted Bing Motors on one they had. When I called him on the fact that his ad was a directly lift from BaT he claimed he was the seller and the buyer backed out. Right. Things will typically fall apart when you ask them when you can inspect it. "It's at the facility ready to ship but we have a 7 day no questions asked return policy if you don't like it" is the usual response. If the price is too good to be true then 99.999999% it is exactly that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great thread. I am searching for an Esprit and actually contacted Bing Motors on one they had. When I called him on the fact that his ad was a directly lift from BaT he claimed he was the seller and the buyer backed out. Right. Things will typically fall apart when you ask them when you can inspect it. "It's at the facility ready to ship but we have a 7 day no questions asked return policy if you don't like it" is the usual response. If the price is too good to be true then 99.999999% it is exactly that.
That's exactly what happened in my case. He told me that the seller suddenly decided that he was no longer interested in selling the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe I "messaged the seller" on one of the sites that has Esprits listed for sale and indicated that I was interested in a specific vehicle. Later that day or the next day, I received a reply e-mail from an individual "Roy" from Bing Motors about that vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe I "messaged the seller" on one of the sites that has Esprits listed for sale and indicated that I was interested in a specific vehicle. Later that day or the next day, I received a reply e-mail from an individual "Roy" from Bing Motors about that vehicle.
Thanks for the heads up. Is there any way you can remember where you first heard/saw the vehicle? Was it from a Facebook group, Gumtree, OLX, etc or across various forums such as this? And not to prod but you messaged them and then they emailed you, you gave them your email in the initial contact, can you let me know where it was? Just curious to learn more about these guys in particular.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cannot recall which specific site I sent the message from. I've sent several messages from various sites. Most of the sites (even CarGurus) have a message box where you include your name, e-mail address, phone number, and a message box (where you can type something like, "I'm interested in this vehicle, please e-mail to confirm availability" (or similar words). Just be very very careful when you are chatting with someone who claims to be a broker or a dealer, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts