The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got back from Deployment and got the new tires put on the Elise. Took it off storage insurance and my first drive ended with a death. I'm actually a big bird watcher as you can tell from my attached bird feeder pic. I had just passed a SUV going slow and was going around a curve spiritedly and she flew from a bushes on the right side of the road and I heard the gentle impact. Home was only a couple miles away and when I got out and saw that she had a straw in her mouth still making a nest I was :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Nice color combination. I assume it is a female Cardinal.

You should have her freeze dried and put her in permanent flight on your dash, wings spread.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
Same thing happened to me in my Miata. I was going about 45 and felt very bad.
I pulled over and thought the bird was dead. I reached in to grab it and it started coming to. I think it was just knocked unconscious. I left it alone and within 5 minutes it flew off seemingly no worse for wear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Dog Pilot
75 Posts
Looks like he's doing the Titanic "I'M KING OF THE WORLD!!" thing...

Except...

Upside down.

And dead.

You know... pretty close.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Been there done that. My feathered friend was still half alive! Had to use wife's salad tongs to get it out. Owed wife one new set of tongs

;)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it was a female Cardinal, I wish she came back to. I pulled her out with my hand and set her in a part of the yard where feathered friends go missing by the next morning. Not sure if it's a fox I haven't seen in a while or the raccoons?

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
The bird wasn't very lucky, but I think you were. I had a partridge fly into a headlight on my Xterra, and it smashed the light all to pieces. The whole module needed to be replaced, which was a bumper off job.

Poor birds. :(

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a bird strike on my Subaru's roof rack once. I didn't see what happened to the bird, but there was blood on my roof =(

Once when I was driving up Skyline drive in Shanandoah I ran over like seven squirrels in half an hour, and that was trying to avoid them! There were so many out in the morning, and they're so unpredictable.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We hit birds quite frequently in the helicopter business. One time in Iraq, I hit this large bird so hard it put like a 1 foot dent in the nose of my aircraft. I know one pilot who destroyed three turbine engines from bird ingestion in the span of a couple of months at over 1 million a pop.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Does it make me a bad person that I LOL'd when I opened this thread, and saw the bird, wings spread, still holding that straw in its mouth, eyes wide open thinking OMG!!

I was expecting something more gory.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Does it make me a bad person that I LOL'd when I opened this thread, and saw the bird, wings spread, still holding that straw in its mouth, eyes wide open thinking OMG!!

I was expecting something more gory.

did the Sarah McLachlan song kick on in your head too? or does that just happen to me... cause that's the reason I laughed :shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
A buddy of mine was driving his WRX home from a post-autocross cookout one evening. A bird came in his driver window between his head and the B-pillar, hit the inside of the backlight and exploded.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Once when I was driving up Skyline drive in Shanandoah I ran over like seven squirrels in half an hour, and that was trying to avoid them! There were so many out in the morning, and they're so unpredictable.
You're lucky that's all you hit up there. I've driven up there when there were so many of these guys in the road that I had to stop. One inquisitive one came up and looked in the car window.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My friend hit a crow in a crown vic, busted his driver side mirror right off the car! :eek:

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I'm always sad when I hit a bird on the road, but at least it doesn't happen very often.

You should just be glad that it wasn't a chicken:

6a00d8345249cd69e200e54f3f0da18833-500wi.jpg

More pictures of the outcome here:

peterdehaas.net: Chicken in the Porsche ...

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I had an owl fly in front of me and hit the windshield frame right in the middle at the top on my truck. Big dent but no broken glass.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last year we where going down a backroad to miss Waldorf Md traffic and cause it's fun of course and as we swept around this one corner a HUGE turkey vulture took off from the right side of the road and just barely missed us -eek-

1 - 20 of 29 Posts