The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that as a teenager growing up in a small town, I used to go down to the Pontiac dealer and lust after the Fiero GT with the V6 engine, 5 speed and beautiful flying butresses and trunk mounted wing. Now here it is almost 20 years later and I'm buying an Elise. I wonder if I've been supressing this little mid-engined desire all these years and just haven't realized it. (Funny thing is, I never had a thing for MR2s.)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The first car I saw on a dealer lot that I lusted for was a white Ford Mustang SVO. I thought it was the cats pajamas.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
MickOpalak said:
I just realized that as a teenager growing up in a small town, I used to go down to the Pontiac dealer and lust after the Fiero GT with the V6 engine, 5 speed and beautiful flying butresses and trunk mounted wing.
I always lusted after the Fiero GT as well - until I drove one, that is. It's unfortunate that Pontiac dropped the engineering ball with such a great design.

I got bit by the mid-engined bug right away. All but my first car and my RX7 (which I no longer own) have been mid-engined. :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
The first RX-7, at least, was mid-engined. Albeit a front mid-engine. The engine was behind the front axle centerline. The later generations may have qualified as mid-engined as well.

Yes, I know you meant mid-engined mount behind the passenger compartment.

Oops, I don't mean to start-up the mid-engined battle that occurred on the "official" website again.

Greg

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Racer X said:
The first RX-7, at least, was mid-engined. Albeit a front mid-engine. The engine was behind the front axle centerline. The later generations may have qualified as mid-engined as well.

Yes, I know you meant mid-engined mount behind the passenger compartment.

Oops, I don't mean to start-up the mid-engined battle that occurred on the "official" website again.

Greg
yeah, technically they were all mid-engined (one of the beauties of the little rotor motor), but... you know what I meant. ;)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Hey! I worked at the Fiero plant back in the 80s. The last year '88 was actually a pretty good car. The GT had a fully independent suspension and a Getrag 5spd to work that V6. It was effing cool in those days. Obviously I was/am biased but it was indeed an innovative car and place to work.

The 1990 Fiero was an unbelieveably sexy car. I worked a bit on it's development and saw some of the concept drawings. Too bad '88 was the last year and the '90 never saw daylight.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Ha! I actually wanted a Fiero 2M4 when they were first introduced! I even brought my dad down to the Pontiac dealer to see it. Dad wasn't so interested in trying to insure a 16 year old kid on a "sports car!" :eek: :p

My Mustang SVO was actually a fluke. In 1988, I wanted to buy a used 1979 Mustang Pace Car (nifty Recaro seats!) but a used '84 SVO really called my name, so I bought the SVO. 16 years later, I still own that SVO! :D

I've always had "something" for mid-engined cars. I guess it's always conjured-up the image of a sexy, Italian machine for me. I bought a Fiat X1/9 because I couldn't come remotely close to being able to afford a Ferrari. That 1981 X1/9 (fuel injected) was a blast to drive! Changing to 185/60-13 tires really helped handling considerably! Leaving the targa top off overnight was a bad idea though. I found-out that the neighborhood cats liked using it as an outhouse. :mad:

The Lotus (while not Italian) is incredibly sexy IMHO. I love the lines, the performance, and the fact that it'll be easy on the gas and environment never hurts! :)

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts