The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out this photo and admiring how nice the Elise looks in black. Very nice! I took a second or two trying to figure out what type of SUV that was parked next to the Elise.

http://www.sport190.com/showpic.asp

Is anyone considering a black Elise? I normally find black cars too hard to keep clean, but this may not be a big issue for the Elise because mine wouldn't be going out into anything but blue skies and onto dry roads.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Changed my link to the first pic. Nice pics. Hope he does not mind the links.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Modern Wedgie said:
Damn that car is sexy!
I agree 100%. I'd been deciding between Ardent Red and Magnetic Blue, but now maybe Black is the answer. Yeah, I know I may not be easily seen in a small black car, but it looks fantastic.

As an aside, someone is coming to see my E30 M3 tomorrow. My price is a firm $25k. Although I love the car, I don't think I can turn my back on $25k if it's offered. That money would set me up to take delivery of the Elise.

The car would only be a weekend toy (as the M3 is), so I guess there isn't a lot lost in selling the M3. The Elise has got to be loads more fun for recreational use. It's faster, looks wilder, hanldes "more interestingly", and has the open air motoring option.

Please tell I won't regret selling the M3 for $25k. That's top dollar, but my car is top notch too.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I LOVE black too - think it looks the best CLEAN but looks the worst DIRTY (which it almost always is - shows every fingerprint and piece of dust and is too hot in the summer for me. BUT I DO PREFER IT OVER ALL THE REST .......... but I'm ordering Ardent with biscuit interior - why is this so difficult?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Not the same black. Star Midnight is a metallic black. It was the color of one of the two US test cars I saw back in Sept.
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
If anyone is thinking of ordering black, there should be no concern. It is the best looking color in my opinion. And if I did not own two black cars right now, and if I was not worried about being run over, I would have selected it. But you have to keep it cleaner more often.

The black cars pictured on the AutoStyle Solutions site are drool causing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
James A said:
DON'T SELL THE M3!!!!!!!!!!!
Not even for $25,000?
Why not? I need to hear it before it's too late.

My thinking is that the Elise will be the better / more fun weekend car. I realize that the Elise will depreciate, but such is life.

My only other option is to sell the S4 and buy a new S2000 for daily use. I don't have a problem with that, but it doesn't get me into an Elise. I'd be much more comfortable selling the S4 since they're "nothing special". I'd also be fine with saving $12k and getting the S2000 over the Elise. But if I could choose between having an S2000 or an Elise -- the choice is the Elise. Just not for daily use.

Talk to me here. Talk some sense into me. If it means pointing out problems with the Elise, so be it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If your M3 is worth $25,000 now it must be pristine! The value of M3s is really going up right now so there is some logic to wait. But, I still think the E30 M3 is one of the best, if not the best, looking coupes ever made, this car will always look great. Sell it now and 10 years from now you will really, really regret it! Keep it, maintain it, you'll never regret it, and if you do it will always be worth as much or more.
Oh hell don't listen to me I think the E30 M3 is a keeper, I am the original owner of mine and it has permanent status in my garage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
damn...

damn...for 25k i would do it in a heartbeat! i had a red 1988 with 11X,XXX miles when i sold it few years back. all i got for it was 6400 which was around blue book value. maybe i got ripped off? it all depends on you tho. if you want the new thing, get the elise! if you want to live with a great classic keep the m3. however, keep in mind that the classic is indeed a classic...at 13 years old. how much longer can u even drive the thing...and when you decide to sell it later on...do you think someone will fork out 25k again to buy it from you? or spend 30 k to get a used elise on the market that is just as great if not better on the track? if your getting a good deal on it, i say sell it...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
James A said:
If your M3 is worth $25,000 now it must be pristine! The value of M3s is really going up right now so there is some logic to wait. But, I still think the E30 M3 is one of the best, if not the best, looking coupes ever made, this car will always look great. Sell it now and 10 years from now you will really, really regret it! Keep it, maintain it, you'll never regret it, and if you do it will always be worth as much or more.
Oh hell don't listen to me I think the E30 M3 is a keeper, I am the original owner of mine and it has permanent status in my garage.
On the one hand, how many cars are classics at such a young age. Anyone that has watched any of the Barrett-Jackson on Speed knows that the cars may very well increase in value. Especially unmolested, low-mileage, unrestored examples.

On the other hand, you're right about not being able to use it much if I intend to keep it valuable. If I put 50k more miles on it, it'll be at 100k miles, it'll look worse (probably) and it'll be worth what all the other E30 M3s are worth.

I was prepared to sell it if I got a top dollar offer such as $25k. My thinking was that for a weekend only fun car, a brand new Lotus Elise -- with great performance, wild looks, and a soft top would be a better fit than a 4 seat closed saloon (even if it's no ordinary car).

I've been to the car shows in my M3. I've won awards in it. What else is there to do? I could track the car but there are less beautiful examples around set up for that. It would be criminal to track a concours E30 M3, I think.

It's a very tough call & maybe I won't have to make a decision at all. Maybe the prospective buyer will offer me $15k and I can tell him to take a hike.

Sorry for the lack of directly related Elise info. here....but if not for the Elise, this wouldn't be an issue. So it is related.

Also, I'll trim my signature tomorrow, but your sig got me thinking about all the car flipping I've done over the years. Amazingly, I've rarely ever lost money. Buying an Elise would change all of that.

·
Registered
528 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Not the same black. Star Midnight is a metallic black. It was the color of one of the two US test cars I saw back in Sept.
Chris
Starlight Black should be metallic too, at least according to the extra $$$. ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hans Stuck said:
Not even for $25,000?
Why not? I need to hear it before it's too late.

My thinking is that the Elise will be the better / more fun weekend car. I realize that the Elise will depreciate, but such is life.

My only other option is to sell the S4 and buy a new S2000 for daily use. I don't have a problem with that, but it doesn't get me into an Elise. I'd be much more comfortable selling the S4 since they're "nothing special". I'd also be fine with saving $12k and getting the S2000 over the Elise. But if I could choose between having an S2000 or an Elise -- the choice is the Elise. Just not for daily use.

Talk to me here. Talk some sense into me. If it means pointing out problems with the Elise, so be it.

I am kind of in the same satituration as you so I don't know what opinion to give you. For me, I might sell my M3 so I can put more money for down payment on the Elise. My M3 got 9xxxx miles and I only use it on weekend and on track day. I love my E30 M3, it is rare, it is a classic. But the Elise is probably more practical in IMO since my wife can drive it and it have a reliable Toyota engine. But the fact is I rarely see any E30 M3 sell close to $25k, not even a 20-30k miles one from BMWCCA.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts