The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I want to paint my gas filler door black but can't see how to remove the hinge and get it into two pieces. Is it possible to push the pin out? Those of you that did it did you leave it together and paint as a single piece? I think the coverage and quality would be much better if I can get it into 2 pieces. Did you paint or powdercoat or anodize?

Thanks,

Russ

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Hi All,

I want to paint my gas filler door black but can't see how to remove the hinge and get it into two pieces. Is it possible to push the pin out? Those of you that did it did you leave it together and paint as a single piece? I think the coverage and quality would be much better if I can get it into 2 pieces. Did you paint or powdercoat or anodize?

Thanks,

Russ
I don't know if you can separate it. I just had the whole thing done.

If you anodize, find a shop that does 'Brite Dip black'

I got mine powder coated. Fuel door and diffuser - $75. Those guys are dying for business these days so happy to do one off jobs.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Our local powder coating shop must be rolling in the dough. They want a premium for any work done (and I didn't mention the wheels were for a Lotus).

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I had mine powdercoated (along with the fasteners) and I recommend that rather than painting. I don't remember the cost, but it was reasonable (~$50) and I'm in California. I didn't mention it was for a Lotus, but I pulled up in my Corvette.

San

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Local shop wants $300, for just the wheels.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Your local shop is on crack!

Most places I've seen are around 50 bones a wheel.

You could plastidip them for like $10. They now make a 'glossifier' that gives it a gloss sheen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information guys, I think I'll try to just get the whole thing anodized in "brite dip black" $50-$75 bucks seems like a deal to me...I am not that far from Chicago either, is there a shop you recommend in Southern Wisconsin, Northern Illinois?

Thanks again,

Russ

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hate to sound like a douche, but I want my filler cap black as well, can I just buy a black one? Maybe in 2073 when the next Elise comes state side, a black filler cap will be part of the black pack.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had mine anodized. I think it was like $50. I took it aparts myself and just gave them the two pieces. The pin just pushes out with a small punch, very easy.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I wanted to try a vinyl wrap on my spare filler door (which I plan on power coating). This was my first attempt on vinyl wrap... not perfect, but it was kinda fun and cheap!

I kept hearing "nice... nice... nice..." as I worked... Wait, womans gymnastics is on. Gotta run!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts