The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get some opinions about blacking the tail lights on my car. I used to think this was incredibly ricey and hated that Lambo owners did it, but after seeing them on Lambos more and more, I like 'em and they really do work.

So how do you think it'd look on my car? I already have a black theme: Black stripe, black badges, black wheels, and black gas cap.

I've seen the smoked ones on AgentXXX's car, but I want BLACK as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
why not just put some chrome fake air vents on and a non functional wing, and 20 inch spinners while your at it!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
oh yea and tv's

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I say do it...it's a matter of personal taste...if you like the black theme than why not?

I'm having my tail lights tinted by SCC...I'll have pics up next week

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why not just put some chrome fake air vents on and a non functional wing, and 20 inch spinners while your at it!

Coming from someone who doesn't even have any vents on the car, I think I'll take your opinion for what it's worth ;)

Please post pics of your car, plastique.

I think black contrasts with the color of my car perfectly. The red doesn't fit in at all; that's why people black their tail lights anyways :shrug:

·
Registered
294 Posts
The guy I usually take my car too got creative and did this

He just put little black circles around the middle, which I think look great. I have the 05 lights though

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Black goes with everything -- including manbags.

If you like it, do it.

I just don't want buyer's remorse since I'm SURE these places that are familiar with doing Lambos charge an arm and a leg :rolleyes: I want it to look like the plastic is actually black. Don't want a smoked look, but I'm not sure if that's possible with mere tint.

Want something like this...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...honestly, i think clear taillights would look better on your car - there's already a lot of black on the tail, so it would nicely accent the silver outline of your stripes...no color unless they're lit, red LEDs to light up bare chrome reflectors behind crystal lenses, similar to the center brakelight, plus you get the bonus of maintaining high visibility on what's already an easily-overlooked small car...

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I think it looks OK, not spectacular, but that is obviously purely subjective. My concern is twofold the first being safety. (like M says ^^^) It's already hard enough for some drivers to see our cars, especially at night. Two - legally, if someone does run into the back of your car, can they use the smoked brake lights against you? Not sure, but I don't think the aesthetic gain is worth the potential danger/hassle.

·
Banned
874 Posts
I personally like blacked out lights on most cars but not the elise. but if thats ur theme i'm pretty sure it would look good. Plus u shud get what U want.

Edit: IMHO the blacked out ones on the stormtrooper looks better than keepitclear's

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wouldn't the lights still illuminate like normal, with obviously a bit less transparency, but they would still light up with the head lights on and when I brake, so I don't know how much of an issue that is. I guess I'd have to see an example.

Looking at the Novitec Rosso's tails, they're actually clear lights with black film on them it seems... interesting...

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
As for clear lights, it's difficult to picture that... hmmm...

The image I have of the blacked out lights in my head looks PERFECT, but the bit of red shining through the tint film would ruin it.
I had my taillights smoked out on my Rodeo, can't see red at all. At night, the lights shine through perfectly fine. I say go for it man, I want to do it on my elise as well... but that's after I find a decent rear wing ;)

Would you have to take the lights out in order to do it?

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Just a personal thing, but having followed cars with blackened tailights on a bright day it is difficult, if not nearly impossible to see the brake lights going on.

Just my 2 cents
Kiyoshi

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I have a combination of stickers and painted tints on my car. Both look tinted in day and night time. When someone shines light on them or when they are on the lights do work. I haven't had any issues with visibility. I've followed my Lotus in my Range Rover to test it. I know there are different types of tints. I'm not sure what I have on my Lotus, but Andy at stickercity.com knows how dark I went.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice. I too wondered about removing the lights.

I'll need to do a lot of research before going forward with this...

This is what I DON'T want..

See, even though the tint is very dark, I can still see the red shade. That would kill the look I'm going for.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Here are a couple pix. Day and night time.

·
Registered
560 Posts
to each his own.

But honestly I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The F-car in post #8 is an abomination.

I wouldn't want anything on my car to resemble that hideous disaster.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts