The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I read on this forum about the BlackVue Security camera. So while doing my Stereo upgrade decided to go ahead and order the BlackVue.

BLACK VUE Singapore - Car Black Box- Car Camera Sg, Singapore Car Camera

Install was pretty easy, no harder than installing a radar detector. I also recommend getting the Power Magic Pro which monitors voltage while the camera is in "parking mode" so it will not drain your battery.

the camera has been great for just recording everyday driving, but the thing that is the most fun is watching the "parking mode" footage. You will see people coming into the cameras feild of view looking at your car, pointing and starring.

Camera turns itself on and off by itself and can be set from full Hd down to simple VGA to save memory.

I have the HD model with a 32GB memory card install.

this will be awesome for track days or any days with spirited driving.

In parking mode the camera recordes in 3 min loops has a G and Shock sensor which will put the camera in record mod for an additional 3 min.

Camera also has a GPS which will link to google maps. When you watch the footage on the BlackVue software it will bring up a GPS screen detailing speed and location on the map.

I got the whole setup on ebay for less than $350. Have had it installed for a week and so far love it:D

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
I grabbed an HD model with PowerMagic Pro off eBay on Saturday. I just checked the tracking and it looks like it should be here in a day or so.

Just wondering, What fuses did you tap into?

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I grabbed an HD model with PowerMagic Pro off eBay on Saturday. I just checked the tracking and it looks like it should be here in a day or so.

Just wondering, What fuses did you tap into?
I'll have to look, but I think I tapped into fuse 30 for ignition and almost any other fuse will work for direct to battery.
the one I recieved from ebay came in Korean laguage. PM me if you have any problems updating the firmware to English. blackVue said it could not be done, but it can, just need the right version of firmware.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
I haven't looked into the fuse box yet but if I remember right, the rear 12v outlet is constant and the 12v outlet behind the armrest is ignition hot. If so, I was going to tap into those two fuses so if something goes wrong I only loose my 12v outlets.

I'm also hoping the one I get is in English. That is what they listed it as on eBay. They already emailed me a copy of the manual in English so I hope i don't have to update the firmware. If I do, I may take you up on the pm offer for assistance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought one a few weeks ago; been sitting in the 'to-do' pile awaiting the spring. Just got the Evora 3M film protected; so now that I feel safe driving her installing the camera is the next step.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't looked into the fuse box yet but if I remember right, the rear 12v outlet is constant and the 12v outlet behind the armrest is ignition hot. If so, I was going to tap into those two fuses so if something goes wrong I only loose my 12v outlets.

I'm also hoping the one I get is in English. That is what they listed it as on eBay. They already emailed me a copy of the manual in English so I hope i don't have to update the firmware. If I do, I may take you up on the pm offer for assistance.
if the links they sent you work you should be OK. the links I was sent did not work and had to do some digging on my own. Once I got it talking English it was an easy step to get it up to the latest firmware.
software is very easy to use.
Let my nephew take his girlfriend for a "quick spin". quick spin was right. I pulled the SD card from the camera and had him take a look at the recording. GPS had him doing 100+mph and could hear him talking about his weekend plans and how cool it would be if I let him borrow the Lotus all weekend.
:sad: look on his face
:wallbang: then one of these
:thwack: then i gave him one of these

·
Registered
341 Posts
if the links they sent you work you should be OK. the links I was sent did not work and had to do some digging on my own. Once I got it talking English it was an easy step to get it up to the latest firmware.
software is very easy to use.
Let my nephew take his girlfriend for a "quick spin". quick spin was right. I pulled the SD card from the camera and had him take a look at the recording. GPS had him doing 100+mph and could hear him talking about his weekend plans and how cool it would be if I let him borrow the Lotus all weekend.
:sad: look on his face
:wallbang: then one of these
:thwack: then i gave him one of these
Love it... ahahha

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
There are some in-car DVRs available on Amazon etc. What is the advantages of this one over the other DVRs? Its always a little scary buying electronics (esp a brand I've never heard of) on FleaBay

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
blackvue is the best one as far as I know. The only downside is no screen.

I've got a GV3660 from Vosonic that works great in low light compared to anything else I've seen, and it has a screen.. Plus it looks like a security camera it puts people on alert when they see it.

It is on 24/7, hooked up to a dedicated battery.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
blackvue is the best one as far as I know. The only downside is no screen.

I've got a GV3660 from Vosonic that works great in low light compared to anything else I've seen, and it has a screen.. Plus it looks like a security camera it puts people on alert when they see it.

It is on 24/7, hooked up to a dedicated battery.
The blackvue does have a video out that can be plugged into a video in on some aftermarket headunits. My pioneer unit only has one video in and I use it for my backup camera.
I know some Kenwood units have 2 video in ports.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The blackvue does have a video out that can be plugged into a video in on some aftermarket headunits. My pioneer unit only has one video in and I use it for my backup camera.
I know some Kenwood units have 2 video in ports.
good point, actually.. I love the specs but no screen was a deal breaker for me.

I think the stock HU on my evora has a aux video in source.

·
Registered
350 Posts
timely thread! hilarious, also!
i finally picked one up the other day from cool-guys on ebay. they've really come down in price since i first started looking; picked up a dr400g-hd 16gb w/ powermagic for under $250. hoping the overheating issues everybody talks about aren't crippling, but i guess time will tell. really looking forward to what goes on in the parking lot when i'm not around :)

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I just bought a 2x2 camera setup! Upgrading my 3 camera setup from 2010.

It's about $180 for both cameras shipped. Each camera has separate rotatable front & rear lenses, GPS integration, accelerometer, password encryption, sleep mode, and an LCD display. The catch is that it's made in China. Nonetheless it was 300 cheaper than my existing setup.

The BlackVue is great but very, very expensive by comparison.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts