The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I dunno if Blackworks makes stuff for Elises, perhaps you're thinking of Blackwatch? But regardless, do you really want to do this? Kinda looks tacky :p

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Well right off the bat, unless you've done a bolt to stud conversion, the lug nuts will be useless. As for an oil cap, tacky but if it fits it fits.. Not sure what else you can say about an oil cap.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I have to agree with the above. The oil cap and lug nuts look tacky. You are better off just using the factory lug bolts and painting them with Hi-temp disc brake paint. Someone else suggested this, and I am going to borrow their idea.

And as for the oil cap...you can get one off of ebay for less (if I remember correctly) with a lotus sticker on it as well. I did, looks just like the blackworks ones, it has a nicer appearence to it since it says "Lotus" on it. Makes it seem like you are not "trying" to spiff up the engine bay.

Hope that

·
Registered
2011 Persian Blue Elise R(S)
819 Posts
DaveJ,

Looks like Blackworks Racing is a knockoff from Blackwatch Racing (sure there's gonna be a lawsuit somewhere about that down the road...)

Can't tell you about lug nuts but I can say something about oil caps (billet caps). Go to ebay:

lotus billet cap | eBay

It looks like this on my Lotus Elise (btw, I've changed all my badges to Black, so I replaced the supplied emblem with one of my metal black stickers):

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
DaveJ,

Looks like Blackworks Racing is a knockoff from Blackwatch Racing (sure there's gonna be a lawsuit somewhere about that down the road...)
No. If you look at their site you'll see that they do the basics for a list of car companies (just look at the headers page).

As far as a different option for lug nuts. I know there's a ton of companies that will anodize parts for you.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
DaveJ,

Can't tell you about lug nuts but I can say something about oil caps (billet caps). Go to ebay:

lotus billet cap | eBay

It looks like this on my Lotus Elise (btw, I've changed all my badges to Black, so I replaced the supplied emblem with one of my metal black stickers):
That's the one I have, works great. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are harsh... "Tacky, tacky, tacky..." Okay I get it, you think the anodized parts are tacky.

I have wheel stems on my car and you can't even see the lug nuts. Also I am trying to spiff up the engine bay a little bit. I'm going to have Chuck Risen paint my engine covers and I thought the colored oil cap would go well with the body colored covers.

Now you can go back to bashing colored anodized parts...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It doesn't hold up. Soon as you hit them with the rattle gun the paint chips/flakes off.
I paint equipment and cars as a side job, so I'm pretty sure I prepped them correctly. I used hi temp engine enamel in a lime green (blaze orange car)

I have to agree with the above. The oil cap and lug nuts look tacky. You are better off just using the factory lug bolts and painting them with Hi-temp disc brake paint. Someone else suggested this, and I am going to borrow their idea.

Hope that

·
Registered
2011 Persian Blue Elise R(S)
819 Posts
DaveJ,

Nah, I don't think anybody's bashing color anodized parts but the feeling of "understate" comes through here.

Chuck will do a great job but will the colored billet cap match in color to what Chuck does? Too many colors and things start to look tacky. Search the thread "dressing up the engine bay" and you will see what I mean.

In the end, it's your car and you do what you feel is right for you and everybody will back you up.

Hey, have Chuck paint the billet. You don't have to put the emblem on (it comes seperate). You can get creative with it and we can assure you that it fits.

No matter what you do, we want pictures when you're done!

O LEE O

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^

I like the idea of having Chuck paint the oil cap. Also, my wheel stems don't look that great and I thought the black extended lug nuts would dress them up a bit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sorry didn't mean to start an attack here, I just hate the little random bits of color in my engine. Too much Tokyo drift and not enough car of my dream..., everyone looks like a car engine then all of a sudden you catch a bit of neon blue :p

·
Registered
98 Posts
You guys are harsh... "Tacky, tacky, tacky..." Okay I get it, you think the anodized parts are tacky.

I have wheel stems on my car and you can't even see the lug nuts. Also I am trying to spiff up the engine bay a little bit. I'm going to have Chuck Risen paint my engine covers and I thought the colored oil cap would go well with the body colored covers.

Now you can go back to bashing colored anodized parts...
I actually think a set of anodized lugs would be cool, but anodize the stockers, no need for buying an ugly set of acorns. Check around where you live, there's probably a few places that would anodize your existing lugs or other car parts.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^
My wheel stems stick out quite a bit and don't look very good. Also, the lug nuts are hardly visible. If I anodized the lugs nuts you wouldn't see them.

So I figured the extended lug nuts would cover the stems and dress up the wheels a little. I think I'll get a set and try them out - what's another $75...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts