The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm cleaning the inside of the windshield yesterday and the speaker grill pops off. D#@$ thing won'g go back on and I spend an hour subtley reshaping it to fit into the speaker recess. I don't think it was ever properly locked in place. While doing this, the little Blaupunkt badge popped off and I can't find it anywhere. Anyone replace their speakers and have a spare mesh cover from the originals?...Dave

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just a suggestion for anyone reading this with the same problem, the same thing happened to me, and i initially made a mess of trying to get it back in (unsuccessfully)...

If it pops out, the problem getting it back in is that the base is wider than the groove it needs to fit into. If you look at the grille, you'll notice a couple "V" notches along the edge that are supposed to allow it to flex into position (yeah right). Simply echo this - I used some wire snips to cut small V's into the edge every couple/few inches. This allows the bottom edge to flex enough to snap back into the groove. Worked like a champ and the grille is back in!

·
Registered
856 Posts
So I'm cleaning the inside of the windshield yesterday and the speaker grill pops off. D#@$ thing won'g go back on and I spend an hour subtley reshaping it to fit into the speaker recess. I don't think it was ever properly locked in place. While doing this, the little Blaupunkt badge popped off and I can't find it anywhere. Anyone replace their speakers and have a spare mesh cover from the originals?...Dave
FYI, remember shrinkydinks when you were a kid? The plastic that you would color, cut out, and put in the oven. It would shrink into a little pendant or something. Well, that is sort of what happened to your speaker grill, only the wire grill didn't shrink, the black plastic circle did. That grill is never going to fit back in there, and the fit is going to only get worse.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

On the other side, if you REMOVE the black plastic part, and put that black door guard edging stuff on the bottom of the grill, it looks pretty good, but they just lay in the hole and can't be bolted down that way. You may be able to use double sided tape to make them stay in better.

Dave

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
You could always remove the other speaker grill badge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First off. If your vehicle is still under warranty then you can have them replaced at the dealer. Lotus will cover the repair once and the dealer is supposed to inform you that anytime you park the vehicle in direct sun light you are instructed to use a sun shade in the windshield to prevent any further damage to the speaker grills and same goes for the dash.

jesterbot - Just a suggestion for anyone reading this with the same problem, the same thing happened to me, and i initially made a mess of trying to get it back in (unsuccessfully)...

If it pops out, the problem getting it back in is that the base is wider than the groove it needs to fit into. If you look at the grille, you'll notice a couple "V" notches along the edge that are supposed to allow it to flex into position (yeah right). Simply echo this - I used some wire snips to cut small V's into the edge every couple/few inches. This allows the bottom edge to flex enough to snap back into the groove. Worked like a champ and the grille is back in!
The "V" notches actually center the grill in the plastic mounting ring. The reason you most likely had so many issues reinstalling the grills is due to this fact. You do not need to cut up your grills to reinstall. You just need to align the slits in the grill with the tabs in the mounting ring and they will snap right in. If you need more info just PM me. Hope this helps.

Jordan

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Hey Dave,
I am quite sure I still have one of my original grilles in a box at home. I will check when I get home from work tonight and if I find it, I will be more than happy to send the badge to you. I'll PM you for your address after I have the grille in my hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts