The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Blaupunkt Acapulco - Display/Audio Settings Guide

I just bought my Elise and wanted to contribute to this awesome forum. I didn't see a guide on setting up the display settings for the factory Blaupunkt MP54 in my 05'. The head unit is actually aesthetically pleasing and functional if you tailor it to look like the other dash lights. Use the following as merely a guide and post your own numerical values to each section if you'd like. I would love feedback on your settings.

The following directions are "step by step" to make sure your head unit saves each display setting properly. Always finish each section per these instructions.

1. Turn Off the Demo Mode (The obnoxious flashing screen that changes colors and tells you about features such as MP3 and CD, etc.)

The prior owner of my car, God bless him, still had the damn demo screen cycling constantly.

Press and Hold the Menu Button for about 6 Seconds to disable all of the fireworks and make this unit look like a normal head unit.

2. Background Color of the Display (This color looks most like the dash with the lights on and dimmer kicked on, according to the full settings of this guide.)

Press Menu
Press Up (Display Menu option is shown)
Press OK ("Display Color" shown)
Press OK ("Ocean" shown)
Press Down ("User Color" shown)
Press OK

R15 G14 B1 (Use up and down to adjust values, left and right to select color R, G, or B )

Press OK
Press Menu

3. Night Setting (Lights On : Dim Control)

Press Menu
Press Down x1 ("Night" shown)

Press Left till value is 4 ( I like my dash fairly dim, adjust while in the dark with lights on to match your setting. 4 or 5 works here. )

Press OK
Press Menu

4. Day Setting (Lights Off : Dim Control)

Press Menu
Press Down x2 ("Day" shown)

Press Right till value is 16

Press OK
Press Menu

5. Key Color (Change Button Text Color to match AC controls)

Press Menu
Press OK ('Display Color" shown)
Press Down x3 ("Key Color" shown)
Press OK

R15 G10 (use up and down to adjust values, left and right to select color R or G )

Press OK
Press Menu

6. Angle (Changes Screen Pixel Focus Toward Driver)

Press Menu
Press OK ('Display Color" shown)
Press Down x4 ("Angle" shown)
Press OK

Press Left till value is -2

Press OK
Press Menu

If you follow my instructions exactly, you will have an factory radio with a tweaked display that matches the rest of the interior. Hope you enjoy my settings!

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Once I finally figured out how to turn that stupid demo mode off and adjust the night brightness, I was happy with the visual display. But the sound still leaves something to desired. Has anyone here ever listed their calibrations settings to improve the sound quality? I know, of course, that swapping the speakers or adding an amp would help even more. But, barring that, what are the best settings to improve the sound of the unit?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This was the first day I have had my head unit face plate. The dealer accidentally left it in the drawer and recently sent it to me. I wrote this to match the looks of the car's internal lighting system with the head unit's unique ability to change system colors. Follow the guide and hopefully you will have a matched speedo and sound system.

I will give my tuning, according to my preferences and the speaker capabilities, hopefully within a few days. I know there are huge limitations with the speaker's size and material, but I too want to tweak the stock system, as is and lacking in bass, to get a warm, clean sound. Sadly, most distortion shall come from the low and "warmer" ends of these speakers, but I believe we can manage a system that is clear and loud enough at road speeds. I know the cutoff frequency for these speakers is about 75-90Hz, to which I have slammed the gain down -12db at 50Hz on the LowEQ1 setting to help stop distortion.

All posts wanted.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Once I finally figured out how to turn that stupid demo mode off and adjust the night brightness, I was happy with the visual display. But the sound still leaves something to desired.
I had no idea mine was even in Demo mode!
I just read all the threads how crappy the radio was, and assumed it was just always in super-cheese mode :D
but when I picked it up the car from a dealer a few months ago, they told me "oh yeah, we turned your radio off Demo mode for ya". (bought the car, '05, last sumer, only put 600 miles on it since, and my eyes are usually on the road anyhow)

I still haven't had time to read the manual for the radio, I'm usually pretty good with figuring out such electronics on my own, but NOT in this case. it's a bit absurd how confusing it is.
but yah, the sound is just so-so.
on a 1-10, I'd give the sound a 3.5 at most.

I think the first thing in order is to look into new speakers.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Thanks for the settings Will. :up:
This radio has to be one of the most user unfriendly I've ever dealt with. Of course, I remember the days when radios only had two twist knobs, one for on/off, volume and tone while the other was for tuning in your favorite mono AM radio station.........yeah I'm an official electronically challenged old guy :eek:

·
Registered
685 Posts
There's such a racket going on inside the car that sound quality is prety irrelevant, but I'd love to know how to play a CD AND show the clock at the same time.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Want to show the clock during CD playback?

Above the Menu button is the "DIS*ESC" button a.k.a. Display/Escape button.
With either the Tuner or CD source selected, press the DIS*ESC button to cycle through the four types of screen information. Each press of the DIS*ESC button increases the amount of information shown on the screen, with "Clock" being last and most informative.

The following is a list of modes available.

Press DIS*ESC x1 (Minimal Mode shown)
"Minimal" shows:
1. track number

Press DIS*ESC x2 (Normal Mode shown)
"Normal" shows"
1. track number
2. elapsed time of the song

Press DIS*ESC x3 (Info Mode shown)
"Info" shows:
1. track number
3. CD Text(song title etc.)

Press DIS*ESC x4 (Clock Mode shown)
"Clock" shows:
1. track number
3. CD Text(song title etc.)
4. current clock time

By the way, Press DIS*ESC x4 means to press the DIS*ESC button four times.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am interested in your DEQ and Audio settings.

My DEQ is currently at the following settings.

Low EQ1
40Hz
Gain -12 Q=4

Low EQ2
100Hz
Gain +4 Q=1.5

High EQ1

400Hz
Gain -4 Q=1.5

High EQ2

Gain -4 Q=1.5

High EQ3
Gain +1 Q=1.5

My Audio is currently at the following settings.

Bass = 0
Treble = 0
Balance = 0
Fader = +2
XBass = 80Hz Lvl=4

By the way, the Q number inversely correlates to octaves around the target frequency that will be effected. Smaller Q equals a wider number of frequencies to be effected by the gain. Large Q, such as for LowEQ1, helps to only reduce frequencies very close to 40Hz without reducing far above it. It essentially is a filter to stop low frequency distortion without cutting off the warmer sounds.

Any posts and tweaks are welcome. Try these setting out and tell me how your ears feel about it.

The following page can help describe frequencies and the instruments or sounds that are near those frequencies. If you want to hear more or less of a sound, find it in the description so you know where to boost or reduce gain. http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/eqprimer.php

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I am interested in your DEQ and Audio settings.

My DEQ is currently at the following settings.

Low EQ1
40Hz
Gain -12 Q=4

Low EQ2
100Hz
Gain +4 Q=1.5

High EQ1

400Hz
Gain -4 Q=1.5

High EQ2

Gain -4 Q=1.5

High EQ3
Gain +1 Q=1.5

My Audio is currently at the following settings.

Bass = 0
Treble = 0
Balance = 0
Fader = +2
XBass = 80Hz Lvl=4

By the way, the Q number inversely correlates to octaves around the target frequency that will be effected. Smaller Q equals a wider number of frequencies to be effected by the gain. Large Q, such as for LowEQ1, helps to only reduce frequencies very close to 40Hz without reducing far above it. It essentially is a filter to stop low frequency distortion without cutting off the warmer sounds.

Any posts and tweaks are welcome. Try these setting out and tell me how your ears feel about it.

The following page can help describe frequencies and the instruments or sounds that are near those frequencies. If you want to hear more or less of a sound, find it in the description so you know where to boost or reduce gain. http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/eqprimer.php
These audio settings seem a bit bright when driving. The audio can be pumped to high volumes without much distortion, but even the midrange can't be handled by the factory speakers. I have got to change the speaker setup entirely.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Automatic volume control

Is there a way to turn off the "automatic volume control"?
It always goes quiet at a stop light, then a few seconds later, I turn it up, and when I drive away, the volume blows me away.

thanks

:shift:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Page 11 of the radio manual.

Press the MENU button.
➮ Press the down button repeatedly until “VOLUME MENU” appears in
the display.
➮ Press the OK button to display the volume menu.
➮ Press the down button repeatedly until “AUTO SOUND” appears
in the display.
➮ Set the volume adjustment level (0 - 5) using the left/right buttons.
When you have finished making your changes, press the MENU button.
Note:
● The optimum setting (0 - 5) for the speed-dependent volume adjustment
feature depends on how noise levels develop in your particular
vehicle. You will need to test various settings in order to find out
which is best suited to your vehicle.

·
Registered
163 Posts
On a separate note - big thumbs up to Whiskey for posting up the guides. I would've still thought that green is the only display color and that the buttons do not light up at night (some poor previous owner soul set mine to zeros).

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Great thread, big thanks to Whiskey as well. I agree this is one of the most confusing HU's I've ever used. I've been using the preset DEQ settings such as "pop" or "convertible." No matter what I do the settings just won't stay. Each time I turn off the car or try and go back to the main menu the setting goes back to no EQ. When I go back into the DEQ menu again and hit the right arrow to select one then it works again.

Also I couldn't get the clock to work to save my life. I upgraded my speakers to some fairly inexpensive Infinity Reference which were much beefier with a larger magnet than stock but I still get a midrange punch sound that seems like the HU is overdriving the speaker. Not sure if it's my settings or what but I can't turn the bass or X-Bass up past 2 without hearing the distortion.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Once I finally figured out how to turn that stupid demo mode off and adjust the night brightness, I was happy with the visual display. But the sound still leaves something to desired. Has anyone here ever listed their calibrations settings to improve the sound quality? I know, of course, that swapping the speakers or adding an amp would help even more. But, barring that, what are the best settings to improve the sound of the unit?
There are some cool sound settings available in the Menu. Try them out!

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
There are some cool sound settings available in the Menu. Try them out!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the replies so far guys. This forum has helped my buy a vehicle, so I feel happy to help. I know that you may assume my knowledge of the HU, even though I don't have a manual, but here's my big Q...

Why doesn't the clock retain the current time? Did I miss a setting or toggle a clock function improperly?

I haven't had time to sit down with this.... I just noticed during last drive that the time didn't match up to current time, yet it was close to the time that I had previously set it for. Almost as if it were only on when the clock was on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts