The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this morning that one of my speaker screens had come off. I tried just pressing it back on, but it didn't seem to want to stay on. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'd assumed that it just pressed on, is there something more ... or is it broken?

·
Registered
881 Posts
speaker screen

I noticed this morning that one of my speaker screens had come off. I tried just pressing it back on, but it didn't seem to want to stay on. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'd assumed that it just pressed on, is there something more ... or is it broken?
Mine popped off also. If your hands are strong enough, you can bend the rims of the screen inward with thumb pressure. This will allow the rims of the speaker grills to slip into the slot around the speaker. Go easy. It may take several tries before you can press it back into place.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You have to give Blaupunkt credit for creating the worst sound system ever installed in a motor vehicle since the 1970's. I had a Becker Grand Prix system in a 1975 Mercedes that sounded better and the grills never fell off.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
my grills came off.... gave it a few trys and gave up!

·
Registered
138 Posts
My speaker rings had to be replaced due to this problem. Since then, no more problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your cars are still in warranty go to the dealer and get new grills and mounts. they tend to get melted due to the sun.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your cars are still in warranty go to the dealer and get new grills and mounts. they tend to get melted due to the sun.
Out of warranty :(

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
My Blaupunkt speaker rings melted in the first month of ownership. I climbed in one hot and sunny early July afternoon, closed the door and the two speaker covers popped into the air like beached fish. That was the year we had over a week of 100 degree weather. I guess the Germans didn't spec their product for use on the surface of the sun. Ferrari of Denver replaced the speakers with silver metal speaker covers that look like an old rotary dial phone. Touch those on a sunny day and you lose a few layers of skin...but they haven't popped off :nanner2:

Tom

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm ... I'll try to press it back on, but it looks like I may need to check to see if anyone has these for sale. I've seen many people upgrade their stereo systems, so there may be hope :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
If I were you I would assume that your car is trying to tell you something. Even it doesn't even want those horrible speakers in it. Go out and get yourself some JL Audios. However, If you want to keep those I have some old speaker grills I could part with. Send me a PM if your interested.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
My speaker grills pop out too!:eek:
I tried to bend and bend the grille edges but it still won't fit in the circular slot. Frustrating! I'm going to try my final solution.....EPOXY! I'll apply a few drops of epoxy around the grill circumference and....voila! Just enough to keep it to stay and small enough to break it loose if I want to replace the speaker....

The EPOXY worked beautifully to fix a carpet button receptacle that was spinning around the cheap central rivet on the floorboard. That was another frustration removing the carpet button.

Minor issues, minor frustrations. :rolleyes:
As long as the Engine/Tranny/Suspension/Steering/Brakes hold together.:huh:

--Hal

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I were you I would assume that your car is trying to tell you something. Even it doesn't even want those horrible speakers in it. Go out and get yourself some JL Audios. However, If you want to keep those I have some old speaker grills I could part with. Send me a PM if your interested.
It looks like the rim that the grill is supposed to fit inside of warped outward towards the front of the car :( The grill itself is fine, I think I need a new speaker. I thank you for your offer :)

Anyone still have their Blaupunkt speakers and want to get rid of them? (Going to make a cross post in the parts section)

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I have the same issue....my speaker ring is bent/warped....looks like "Pimp my ride" now...ughhhh....out of warranty....time to upgrade to some better speakers...suggestions?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I had my speaker grills replaced aboiut 2 or three times. The heat warps them, so it is better to just get new speakers.

There are many posts about aftermarket speakers. I was able to put 5 1/4" Eclipse speakers in front and 6 1/2" in the back. The front ones lie on top of the circular area instead of inside it, but you cant really tell the diference unless you know to look. Only problem is that I was unable to get in one of the screws for the new cover because it is too close to the window, and you have to put the new screws about 1/8" further apart than the other ones so you have to make some new holes in the dash, but they are covered by the grills and would also be covered if you ever retrofitted the old speakers back.
I also didnt tighten the speaker all the way down, so it was about a million of an inch too high and the cover rattled against the windshield. Drove me nuts until I figured what was causing the noise. The new speakers sound better, with the roof on, but with the roof off, they still stink, because of the wind noise.

I used to have a MG and the only way I was able to hear my stereo was by installing bigger speakers into the side panels (On the Lotuis they are mounted on top, so I think that may be part of the problem) and by installing 6x9 speakers in the area behind the seats and adding an amplifer.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Got some new (used) rings, thanks georgiarover! I got them installed, but it doesn't look as flush as the one on the passenger side ... I can't seem to get the screws to go in any further and they look like they're all the way down. Now for the screen, good lord, how do you get these things in!? Are you supposed to push all sides in from the top, are you supposed to seat the grill and try to get that last side to succum do your will?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bump.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any tricks to getting it on? I wouldn't think it would be this difficult :( Anyone local to the Lacey area who's got stronger hands than I do?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Twerthi, my speaker grills popped out as well. I think it'd be easier just to spend money on new speakers. They're only 4" and you can get a new pair for ~$50 or so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts