The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question (i hope)-
Dont laugh but i have never bled the brakes on a vehicle with ABS system before.
As a matter of maintenance, and since we are track bound soon, i wanted to simply flush out the old skanky brake fluid with some new brake fluid.

anything special since it's ABS? or just carry on like normal push the pedal and bleed method i have used for years?

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Quick question (i hope)-
Dont laugh but i have never bled the brakes on a vehicle with ABS system before.
As a matter of maintenance, and since we are track bound soon, i wanted to simply flush out the old skanky brake fluid with some new brake fluid.

anything special since it's ABS? or just carry on like normal push the pedal and bleed method i have used for years?
The old method of pumping the pedal has the risk of damaging the master cylinder seal. Much better method it to use a pressure bleeder. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f275/pressure-bleeding-brakes-clutch-81947/
Michael

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've always hated the pedal pushing method. Mainly because I just want to do it by myself. Gravity bleed for me. I've got the time.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I just used a power bleeder for the first time.

It works fantasticly. I guess I was doing a crappy job before with speedbleeders.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
A Motive Pressure Bleeder is your friend...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
To answer your question: yes. It's the same old method that you're used to.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
bleed the clutch FIRST or it's all for naught since all the fluid is in a common resevoir.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
bleed the clutch FIRST or it's all for naught since all the fluid is in a common resevoir.
Why? You think that any bubbles the clutch brings back are going to hang around long enough cause the breakes to have trouble?

Just asking. I had an MB Midget, and never had any trouble.

Dunno about Elise cars, but on my Miata, I changed slaves and never had to touch the bleed screw. The thing self-bled by pumping the clutch pedal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts