The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have some feedback on what the visibility will be like through the mirrors? Any noticeable blind spots due to frame, small back window etc?

My guess is that the car is so small I will probably be in the blind spot of others more often then not being able to see them.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
In my all too brief drive of a 111S, the b-pillar gives a blind spot. Taking the time to adjust the mirrors to compensate or shifting your head would help. Sure others with more seat time can fill us in.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Yes pretty major blind spots over both shoulders. I will have to adjust my reliance on the side mirrors. Rear view is pretty good.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Jasonv44 said:
Anyone have some feedback on what the visibility will be like through the mirrors? Any noticeable blind spots due to frame, small back window etc?

My guess is that the car is so small I will probably be in the blind spot of others more often then not being able to see them.

Thoughts?
It's a little like driving a panel van, but with normal size rear view mirrors. The view from the inside rear view mirror was very limited in the Euro 111, I drove and it appears that the US seats (and 111R?) have much wider headrests. There is a tunnel view from either the inside rear view mirror or looking over your shoulder.

The outside rear view mirrors provide about the same view one would expect from any other car. Peripheral view from the driver's seat is pretty limited by the sail panels aggravated by the fact that you are sitting further towards the center of the car than normal due to the wide sills. You have to lean forward and to the left and look back to see to the left rear.

You just have to drive fast enough that you only need to worry about things in front of you. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was a little worried about the b-pillers because in picts they do look a bit wide.

How is the forward view, is it easier to look UNDER the car ahead : ) ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Jasonv44 said:
Yeah I was a little worried about the b-pillers because in picts they do look a bit wide.

How is the forward view, is it easier to look UNDER the car ahead : ) ? ? ? ?
look under the car ahead.....or did you mean 'drive under the car ahead'? Both seem do-able.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Re: Re: Blind Spots??

ChrisB said:
You just have to drive fast enough that you only need to worry about things in front of you. :D
Exactly. Christine from the Newport (actually Costa Mesa, but close enough) dealer said that Roger Becker told her, if in doubt (about seeing/being seen) "squirt" out of there, don't hesitate. If you hesitate, you're probably going to get into trouble. This car's greatest advantage will be its ability to accelerate away from potential problems, very quickly.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Im used to driving with giant blind spots caused by my rollbar. I adapt pretty easily.
The motorsport S1 has almost no rearward vision for the same reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts