The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was quite a hot day in LA today. I had to be out to Thousand Oaks and back, and the car overheated twice... I got the 'blinking' "225", and had to pull over, stop the car, cool the car down... It was a nightmare...

As far as I can see, the fan works, and I have plenty of coolants. The drive was a bit of stop-and-go for a little bit, but an average, I was going at least 30-35mph.

How can the car overheat? This never happened to me before.

Let me know what you guys think could be wrong.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It was quite a hot day in LA today. I had to be out to Thousand Oaks and back, and the car overheated twice... I got the 'blinking' "225", and had to pull over, stop the car, cool the car down... It was a nightmare...

As far as I can see, the fan works, and I have plenty of coolants. The drive was a bit of stop-and-go for a little bit, but an average, I was going at least 30-35mph.

How can the car overheat? This never happened to me before.

Let me know what you guys think could be wrong.
Dude... I can't believe the [email protected] you've had to go through...

There are many ways for the car to overheat... you could have a partially stuck thermostat, your radiator fans may not be working properly, etc.

I'm sorry to say... it looks like yet another visit to the service department...

Oh, and yeah... it was ridiculously hot today... the thermometer in my Audi recorded 105º in freakin' San Diego!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may have f-ed Colin Chapman's wife in my past life..... I can't believe all the s*** i'm dealing with the car.

There's actually more to it.... (the car's damaged) but I won't talk about that, as appropriate parties were contacted today.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I get a warranty coverage on it, what should I have them replace? I am sure this overheating hurt the fluids (and even parts)... no? engine oil, transmission oil, coolant....

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
My only consolation is that it does not boil until over 248'. Were the cooling fans working? BTW they switch off at speeds in excess of 85mph.
Michael

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took it out again today, just to see if it was miraculously fixed.

The fan seems to be working. At the stops, I do hear the fan running (the mosquito like sound). The car definitely get got quickly with the A/C on, but when I turn it off, it cools down a bit. Today the average temp was around 209, which still seems a bit high. In the past, I think the car usually ran around 190, even in the hot days.

When I turn the A/C off, and travel at a highway speed, the temp drops pretty quickly -- I saw the temp drop from 223 to 189 within minutes traveling at 60mph with no A/C.

·
Anthony
604 Posts
Pretty much normal IMO. From Irvine to Universal Studios, outside temps 95-100...at 70-75mph car ran 203-207 with a/c on. When the temps get back down to 80-85, it'll usually drop to about 193-197 with a/c on at the same above speeds. It seems to run even cooler between 65-70mph...by 3-5 degrees.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
The thermostat is a valve. It operates the fluid pathways between the block and the radiator. When the thermostat is closed, water circulates through the block and what ever else. When the thermostat is open it circulates through the cooling system. So when it's stuck closed, you get the massive heat build up you describe.

A thermostat is pretty simple in design. It's filled with wax that is designed to melt at a certain temperature, so when that happens, it expands and pushes a pin outwards, allowing the flow of coolant into the radiator. When it leaks, you get no pressure, so the pin is never pushed out. Or sometimes it gets stuck.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The thermostat is a valve. It operates the fluid pathways between the block and the radiator. When the thermostat is closed, water circulates through the block and what ever else. When the thermostat is open it circulates through the cooling system. So when it's stuck closed, you get the massive heat build up you describe.

A thermostat is pretty simple in design. It's filled with wax that is designed to melt at a certain temperature, so when that happens, it expands and pushes a pin outwards, allowing the flow of coolant into the radiator. When it leaks, you get no pressure, so the pin is never pushed out. Or sometimes it gets stuck.
Ah. An excellent info. Thanks! :up:

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
The opposite applies when the thermostat is stuck open. The car will have one hell of a time getting to operating temperature, and you won't be able to access the beloved second cam.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I may have f-ed Colin Chapman's wife in my past life..... I can't believe all the s*** i'm dealing with the car.

There's actually more to it.... (the car's damaged) but I won't talk about that, as appropriate parties were contacted today.

That is the quote of the day my friend....

Dude I'm thirsty can you make me some lemonade?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
This happened to me once a few years ago, the stop and start driving with the a/c on does it , just turn off the a/c and keep driving, the temp will drop very quickly.
At least that was my experience.
Greg

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
thermostat isnt that bad to replace.. about 1hr.. maybe less..

besure to use toyota coolant.. dont let them refill it with deathcool..

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Was in the high 90's here today and I did about a four hour drive, all with the A/C on. My water temp never went above 194. You definitely have a faulty thermostat or air in the system.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts