The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my engine is rebuilt. Car starts fine... Charlie tuned the ECU, Eaton MP62 SC, compression is fine, cars runs ok, no codes. When I open the throttle more than 1/4 the car falls flat on its face.

Either the machine shop that did my valves messed everything up on the valve job or my Eaton SC has failed.

The SC makes a terrible metallic noise like something is broken inside... Made this noise before my motor was torn apart and car ran much better than it does now...

You guys think the SC has givin up? How can I test... I called the machine shop and of course they are blaming the SC... How can I know for sure which of the two it is?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Need more details - when does it occur, is the engine warmed up, what happens specifically, stall, lose power? Remove the belt from the SC, turn it by hand, does it turn freely without noise? You had the SC before, is this a new noise? Wouldn't take all that long to bolt your NA intake manifold and test it out. It will run very rich, ask Charlie what to expect.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
So my engine is rebuilt. Car starts fine... Charlie tuned the ECU, Eaton MP62 SC, compression is fine, cars runs ok, no codes. When I open the throttle more than 1/4 the car falls flat on its face.

Either the machine shop that did my valves messed everything up on the valve job or my Eaton SC has failed.

The SC makes a terrible metallic noise like something is broken inside... Made this noise before my motor was torn apart and car ran much better than it does now...

You guys think the SC has givin up? How can I test... I called the machine shop and of course they are blaming the SC... How can I know for sure which of the two it is?
If its the noise I'm thinking about it is a normal noise for an eaton. Mine does the same thing, kind of sounds like a loose marble rolling around in the supercharger. I've put a stethoscopes on mine and its defiantly coming from the supercharger. Ive been told by machanics than work on eaton supercharged cars a lot that this is normal.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hmmm.... won't running the car with the stock manifold larger injectors and the SC tune also run rough? I would need to re locate the alternator and get a new belt... that's a nightmare.

The Eaton sound was there the day I first installed the SC and it had zero effect on the way the car ran... It sounds like a bracket rattle. The noise goes away if I put pressure on the neck of the SC... almost seems like it needs more suport.

I'm thinking it's most likely the valves, how can I possibly check? I've got MVR valves and springs which are a higher spring rate than stock, could this be causing problems? Or do you think it's valve adjustments...?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Does it run fine below 1/4 throttle? Is the power problem completely dependent on throttle position? Not effected by rpm or load? Is the metallic noise completely rpm dependent? Not effected by rpm or load?

That's what you've described. If that's right, I cannot imagine what mechanical failure it might be. Suspect no actual failure. Suspect something not reinstalled correctly. Maybe the bypass valve is not functioning right?

xtn

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya its all based on throttle position, when I'm easy on the gas it runs fine, heavy on the gas it falls flat on it's face. Just chokes out... I'm going to go over all the connections. Make sure it's not a SC install problem... I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
You might try posting this on Monkey, there are a few guys there that have rebuilt the 2zz (like Manny) and they will likely have some ideas. Frank has a lot of experience also and may be able to offer some advice.

Also, check all your hoses, vacuum lines - tight, no leaks? Something wrong with fuel delivery??

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
You haven't asked our resident 2ZZ expert, GTSRasta? -poke-

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I had this happen on one of my different builds.. it was a honda motor.. It ran fine. As soon as I open the throttle past a certain position it choked and started decelarating.. I figured out that the throttle position sensor wires were flipped.. (2 of the 3 wires were switched around)

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The rattle might be the bypass value on the SC, vibrating open and shut. Temporarily unplug the vacuum line that connects to the bypass valve. Make sure the value is closed and go for a spin. Not easy access to the valve but it can be reached. Make sure you hook the bypass back up. Track down the
variable vacuum you may be getting.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I had this happened to me once with my Caterham. Turns out I had fooled plugs. Have you changed the plugs lately?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts