The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
You can buy three Ferrari fuels tanks and four Ferrari distributors caps or you can buy an Esprit. I'll take the Esprit, thank you very much.

That's my Sunday morning two cents.

tom
As a former F355 Berlinetta owner, how about the $8,000 charge for timing belt, tensioner bearings and water pump? Every 3 years. The side mounted radiator coolant fan is a $500 part, or $87 if you are resourceful enough to go to Paul's Street Rod Parts and splice the harness on an exact match Spal fan.

·
Parts Finder
238 Posts
As a past owner of a 99 Esprit I’m offended by the disregard of the V8 Esprit. Also my passion for Lotus cars, as with probably many of you on here, is driving a car no one else has and most don’t even know what it is. When I owned my Esprit people would take pictures at lights, follow me to the next stop to ask what kind of car it was. Was the most amazing car I’ve ever driven, easy to service and repair. The writer of the article seemed to know nothing of the history or mission of Lotus. Also she apparently does not know they still make cars, Elise, Exige and Evora. Hoping my driving and ownership of the Exige are as lasting as my Esprit.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
The unreliability issue IMHO is mostly because there are not enough shops that understand and can properly work on the car. It is not an uncommon problem for most limited production foreign makes. And for the more popular ones, while good service is not the issue, the price of the labor and the parts certainly is. Porsche is a good example. Foreign cars also tend to need more frequent service and the more exotic even more service. In many cases the first step is 'Remove Motor". Anyone buying an "exotic" car should have prepared themselves for that. It's not just the purchase price, it's the maintenance and the lifestyle too. Anyone buying an exotic and not having another car (for when the exotic is in the shop) is going to have to rent a car if they intend to use the exotic as a daily driver. Most of us know all this, the ones that don't will read Bloomburg to find out. When you start reading Bloomburg to decide what car or investment to buy you know you are in trouble.
David Teitelbaum

21 - 28 of 28 Posts