The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am looking to install blow off valves (HKS?) and lower the car (fully adjustable setup) in the next month. What are you using to do it? How much should I expect to pay?

I contacted Rob at Dietschwerks in Santa Clara about doing it but, as experience as they are with Elise/Exige, I need to help source some of these items for the Esprit.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
580 Posts
The HKS SSQV is one of the best blow off valves around-- it's one of the few to use a pull-type dual stage valve, and hence don't leak and cause idle/stalling issues (though this is less of a problem on a MAP car like the Esprit).

The only viable options for installing them on an Esprit (assuming you have a V8 judging by your avatar) with the stock charge tubes is to either remove the tubes (PITA) and weld the HKS flanges to them, or use a samco T hose in place of the factory charge tube to manifold hoses. The trick is you then need an adapter and some funky routing (not much space between the back of the engine and the cargo bulkhead) to make it work. Megan Racing makes a HKS flange to hose adapter that can be used for this purpose, though if you don't mind the added headache, welding the flanges to the tubes is the best way to go.

Another option to look at are the Forge valves. They're not as good as the HKS design, but they are quite compact and hence pretty easy to fit into the relatively limited space.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
You are welcome to look at my setup, although I did not have the work done nor who did it, HKS blowoffs were installed on my Esprit and it sounds like to me. It is not too loud or annoying, a nice wooshh sound. However, I am not sure what you can summize with my setup, nor do I know what it cost.

If you remember me, I am right down the street from you in Morgan Hill.

Darin

Guys,

I am looking to install blow off valves (HKS?) and lower the car (fully adjustable setup) in the next month. What are you using to do it? How much should I expect to pay?

I contacted Rob at Dietschwerks in Santa Clara about doing it but, as experience as they are with Elise/Exige, I need to help source some of these items for the Esprit.

Thoughts?

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
You have two options for the HKS BOV...the traditional way (welding the flange to the charge pipes) or use silicon t-pipes. Price on parts ranges but it's roughly around $700-$750. Labor could be expensive.

For the suspension, the best solution for your Esprit will be the full adjustable Bilstein Shocks + Eibach Springs that Lotus put on final Edition (2003.5) Esprits. Those will be around $3K - $4K in parts. It has been tested by Lotus of course & improves the handling tremendously.

The photo below is the set up in my car, I did the HKS SSQV w/the silicon t-pipes. I custom made an angle adapter w/the flange due to space limitations...

BTW, I know someone in San Jose that may able to do these work for you. I don't think he does the silicon t-pipe because that's something I designed myself...

Alan

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
that is similar to the Pand M setup i got for my car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts