The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have power at the 3 pos switch, but blower motor doesn't work at all.

From reading on here sounds like the resistor pack is bad?

Is there a way to easily bypass it without pulling the whole front of the car apart? I don't really care if it's either on high or off right now, but it'd be nice to have heat at least (still in the 20s here at night).

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Have power at the 3 pos switch, but blower motor doesn't work at all.

From reading on here sounds like the resistor pack is bad?

Is there a way to easily bypass it without pulling the whole front of the car apart? I don't really care if it's either on high or off right now, but it'd be nice to have heat at least (still in the 20s here at night).
Unfortunately not :(.
Michael

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If I ever have to perform the dreaded resistor pack replacement, it is getting relocated next to the fuse box. Which, in my opinion, is where it should have been in the first place.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I had my blower motor replaced... paid cash for it and it still doesn't work. I told them to check the resistor pack first, but I don't even know if that was done... Now he wants to replace the circuit board by the knobs... I'm getting impatient about the blower... replacing the blower motor was never needed... Guess I'm just ranting lol. Good luck with the fix!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I'm buying a small 12v heater for now rotfl I have too many projects on the house and a few other vehicles to tie up the garage for a weekend with the Elise.

addertooth, usually the resistor pack is in the air flow of the HVAC so it allows for cooling, so that is something to consider. On many vehicles though, the resistors only control the lower speed and one speed is "direct" so even if the resistors fail, the blower still works. That is part of the reason I was a bit confused with my problem.

(Yes the fuses are all good and I have power there as well. I can't check the wiring to the blower, but I'm assuming it goes from the switch to there, and there is power at that point as well)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Hmmm, then I revise, I would engineer a pulse width modulated switching mode supply with a small cooling requirement, and move it next to the fuse box.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If I ever have to perform the dreaded resistor pack replacement, it is getting relocated next to the fuse box. Which, in my opinion, is where it should have been in the first place.
I worked for one of those 'chain dealers' once, I cannot say the name here but it made my blood as hot as fire...stone

Before I worked there a guy had a Pontiac which was blowing heater restriction or 'regulator' cards. These things looked like a credit card and responsible for controling fan voltage.

Now I get the car for the same problem, they had the customer pay for a fan they thought would fix the problem and it's back again.... same problem. This was before I worked there...
As I go for the motor I notice the sound packing is wet... uhmmm. "Windscreen leak?" I have a fellow mate hose down the windscreen whilst I poke my noggin under the dash to check for leaks.

Low and behold the water comes dripping in a guess... the blower motor. Water was dripping in through the windscreen onto the blower motor shorting out the 'credit card' resistor and was the problem.

You can never fix a problem unless you know the cause.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Here's my issue...

* AC unit and blue light "click on" when pushed - I can hear it kick on

* 50% of the time, when I turn the fan knob to positions 1, 2, or 3 it works; 50% of the time it doesn't work and no air flow comes out.

* Recently I've noticed when it does work, there's a burning wire smell!?!? lol...

* I've checked the fuse under the passenger side footwell too. It's connected.

So, what are your thoughts? Blower, compressor, resistor pack?

Thanks..

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Here's my issue...

* AC unit and blue light "click on" when pushed - I can hear it kick on

* 50% of the time, when I turn the fan knob to positions 1, 2, or 3 it works; 50% of the time it doesn't work and no air flow comes out.

* Recently I've noticed when it does work, there's a burning wire smell!?!? lol...

* I've checked the fuse under the passenger side footwell too. It's connected.

So, what are your thoughts? Blower, compressor, resistor pack?

Thanks..
Almost certainly the resistor pack wiring connections.
Michael

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Does that mean I need to replace the resistor pack entirely or just address the connections to?

lol.. I guess if you're going in there to correct the wiring you might as well just replace the pack too since the clam has to come off either way... fcuk!

Thanks Michael..

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
ok, saw that thread.. will review and update all. Thanks Michael

1 - 15 of 15 Posts