The Lotus Cars Community banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just to add some more information, I've bled the system per section KH.3 of the service manual several times. There was quite a bit of air in the system and was able to add additional coolant several times. Now the car heats up and hovers at about 200 degrees indefinitely whereas before I started bleeding the fans would be coming on. For reference its about 32 degrees outside. The radiator and all hoses that I can touch are hot except for the ones going in and out of the heater. According to the routing diagrams, water should be going through these hoses whether or not the t-stat is open or closed. I'm stumped.

Edit: Bleed it a few more times, and suddenly there was more air escaping. Heat seems to work fine now. So glad it was this and not something broken on re-assembly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Lots of bleeding both the front and rear bleeders worked for me. It took a while....be diligent and work your way front and back.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Use an AirLift if you just want to add coolant and be done. Since the tool will work on all of your cars, it's well worth the investment to never have trapped air in the cooling system.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,373 Posts
So I have my clam off for a crash structure repair job and decided to have a go at checking out the resistor pack. But I can't get that damned HVAC box out of there, do you have to disconnect the huge AC line on the passenger side up near the door?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I just did mine this last spring. It was easier to remove in 2 pieces.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes, requires a discharge of A/C system, remove the lines going to the receiver/dryer and the HVAC box. When you replace you need new O-rings and recharge system. A considerably involved project, I suggest some reading here before proceeding so you know what you're getting into, getting everything back in place is a major PITA. The whole job makes clam off/on look simple.

·
Registered
141 Posts
....dont forget to pressure test

Oh and I strongly suggest you pressure test the high-side up to 150/160psi before vacuuming and recharging and putting the clam back on, just a vacuum test is not sufficient. Ask me how I know :wallbang:

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
Sooo, I have my clam off, and I noticed my fan does not work on the third setting, works for 1 and 2. Guessing its a bad connection all together because the 3rd setting should be full power no resistors.. Have not attempted this yet, do not want to unhook the ac system really, I thought a read about a work around somewhere.

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
101 - 113 of 113 Posts