The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had their engine come apart and enter the cabin via the back seat? 2011 Evora, manual, with about 60K, not driving hard at the time and on the street, not the track. Smoke, oil, coolant everywhere. Looks like a good time to put an aluminum plate behind the seat. Lucky nobody was riding in the back! I doubt this is common but still curious.

Reactions: troyus

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
So not your engine but your flywheel eh! Crazy I have always been a little scared in my track car as well cause of this.

I mean the flywheel came in wonder what failed first!

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only the post-mortem will tell. This is a friends car, I was just with them before it happened, and worries me because I am contemplating getting an Evora 400.

·
Administrator
5,124 Posts
So much for the seat of the pants evaluation or butt dyno! Hope nobody was hurt!

Reactions: brgelise

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, nobody hurt but lots of anger I am sure. On our way back from a really cool show and probably happened at 40 MPH. Missed shift may have been at fault but honestly we will probably not know. Owner was not driving it at the time. My concern is "Has anyone else had this happen?"

·
Administrator
5,124 Posts
Wow owner not driving just made it so much harder for the owner I'm sure! Condolences to the owner and driver. Anger for one guilt for the other.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Missed shift
Fly wheel can explode if its overloaded, if you missed shift it could have overloaded the flywheel... speed doesn't matter, what kind of force or torque that was loaded on Fly wheel does.

Also, if your friend have never replaced the cluch nor flywheel up to 60k mile point, flywheel and clutch probably have been weared out.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True, he will be replacing it now plus the damage incurred.

Reactions: SuHong Kim

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow, I had to google it to see if this happens at all and I found one such news article. If they do get a dump from the ECU, let us know what they find. Was the car modified in anyway? recent clutch installation? Burnouts/Launches prior to the incident?

I would also suggest filing a report with the NHTSA and Lotus if the ECU dump does not reveal abuse.

Extreme horsepower muscle cars use what they call a tranny blanket or scatter shield for protection from such a thing on highly modded cars.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do. Will have to see what it looks like when the clam is removed. I am very familiar with shrapnel from clutches, and it is not usually a problem with a front engine car because there is usually metal around the bell housing and flywheel. I have no idea (yet) what separates the engine compartment and the passenger compartment on an Evora. Not much apparently.

Not a modified car and no bad behavior at the time. Just driving home from a show.

More to come.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow, that is crazy. I second getting an ECU dump to see if it was over-revved (money shift perhaps). I can't imagine a flywheel exploding like that during steady state cruising without prior warning signs. Something must have gone seriously wrong.

Reactions: brgelise

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow how frightening, especially those who run with kids in the back. Glad rare occurrence and no one is injured.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Looks like the firewall did it's job and prevented the debris from entering the passenger compartment. I have seen a person get their toes cutoff by an exploding clutch because floor pan was not thick enough to stop the debris.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Wait, where is the fuel tank in the Evora?
Pretty sure that would have been a broken pelvis to a rear seat passenger

I just never even thought that would happen

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wait, where is the fuel tank in the Evora?
Pretty sure that would have been a broken pelvis to a rear seat passenger

I just never even thought that would happen
It's under the back seat

·
Registered
329 Posts
The 2GR engine was not deigned to work with a manual transmission so the Evora uses the stock flex plate with a bolted on flywheel and clutch plate. The shop manual calls the vestigial flexplate the "ring gear"- presumably Lotus did this because the flexplate has an outer ring gear that engages with the starter. The 400 has a lighter flywheel and I think you can fit that as a replacement for the earlier cars.

There is a great description of the development of the Evora transmission here:

I will be interested to hear more about what actually failed on your car- Lotus have revised the clutch/flywheel since the car was introduced which suggests that the original set up was less than optimal.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
OHHHH if that happenned it likely destroyed the adapter plate. This is going to be expensive!

Edit: In keeping with lotus's strategy of making things cost the opposite of what you expect that plate costs less then most of the pieces of plastic on the car.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts