The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
5,185 Posts
The 2GR engine was not deigned to work with a manual transmission so the Evora uses the stock flex plate with a bolted on flywheel and clutch plate. The shop manual calls the vestigial flexplate the "ring gear"- presumably Lotus did this because the flexplate has an outer ring gear that engages with the starter. The 400 has a lighter flywheel and I think you can fit that as a replacement for the earlier cars.

There is a great description of the development of the Evora transmission here:

I will be interested to hear more about what actually failed on your car- Lotus have revised the clutch/flywheel since the car was introduced which suggests that the original set up was less than optimal.
Excellent video and series!

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Excellent video and series!
Absolutely, and I was shocked to see that it is a new series, not an old one. He directly mentioned Emira so I had to go look at the publication date. Now I need to watch all of the series.

·
Administrator
5,185 Posts
Absolutely, and I was shocked to see that it is a new series, not an old one. He directly mentioned Emira so I had to go look at the publication date. Now I need to watch all of the series.
What impressed me was his focus on education for current cars and carrying that forward while implementing new education strategy and looking to the future. New teaching tools and methods will ensure technicians have the education and tools needed to keep past, present and future Lotus properly maintained.

·
Orange
160 Posts
When my gearbox broke down last year, they replaced also the clutchplate and flywheel. The flywheel had some small cracks on the surface. Lotus Evora S 2011 90.000 km, no hard driving and track. (only a few rounds on the Nordschleife :cool:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
OHHHH if that happenned it likely destroyed the adapter plate. This is going to be expensive!

Edit: In keeping with lotus's strategy of making things cost the opposite of what you expect that plate costs less then most of the pieces of plastic on the car.
The "adapter plate" is a lotus specific part that connects the engine to the clutch bellhousing to the gear box. This has not changed over the lifetime of the car so I expect Lotus just had a large batch of them made when the Evora went into production.

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
#1 I put money on a significant money shift somewhere in the vehicles life. I am also sure if many drag type starts have been done, it could be a significant contributor as that is the absolute harshest thing you can do to any powertrain.
#2 This is a first time seeing this kind of event in 16+yrs of Lotus talk.

Far more common than this are exploding driveshafts in BMW X5 with resulting prop shaft perforating the floor!!!

Reactions: ace10 and TJBNJ

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
#1 I put money on a significant money shift somewhere in the vehicles life. I am also sure if many drag type starts have beehnj done, it could be a significant contributor as that is the absolute harshest thing you can do to any powertrain.
#2 This is a first time seeing this kind of event in 16+yrs of Lotus talk.

Far more common than this are exploding driveshafts in BMW X5 with resulting prop shaft perforating the floor!!! OUCH!
Good to hear that this is really uncommon, almost unheard of. I assume going to the updated components from the 400 would probably work because same transmission/engine combination and I think I read where there were updates to the kluge that Lotus first used.
Thanks for all info given so far!

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
Your dealer will want to install a new Tranny as mine did. I used my dealer for the dissassembly/reassembly and let MWR do the rebuild which you should definitely do while tranny is out of car. Look up my "It finally happened" thread for the things to do during the big refresh.

If you go this approach, make sure the MWR genius in shipping doesn't try shipping the tranny back to you instead of the dealer. Ask me why I say this .....:mad:

Reactions: RapidLotus

·
Registered
578 Posts
I wonder if Lotus would ‘help’ in any way. They must have spare gearboxes soon (unless they’re used in the Emira). Having a flywheel exploding into the passenger compartment is a pretty bad look.

I’d put money on the crank and input shaft being bent a bit. Bell housing obviously has a hole through it.
This will be super expensive.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I wonder if Lotus would ‘help’ in any way. They must have spare gearboxes soon (unless they’re used in the Emira). Having a flywheel exploding into the passenger compartment is a pretty bad look.

I’d put money on the crank and input shaft being bent a bit. Bell housing obviously has a hole through it.
This will be super expensive.
My friend has not started to tear it apart yet to do the post-mortem but my guess is that it will be pretty ugly. I have asked to sit in on the autopsy. I almost wonder if swapping to an automatic (purists, please don't tear me apart for saying this) transmission might be less expensive due to the availability vs. the manual gearbox that is probably only available from Lotus, especially since the gear ratio is modified by Lotus. The transmission is a Japanese truck transmission.

Reactions: brgelise

·
Registered
682 Posts
OHHHH if that happenned it likely destroyed the adapter plate. This is going to be expensive!

Edit: In keeping with lotus's strategy of making things cost the opposite of what you expect that plate costs less then most of the pieces of plastic on the car.
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
699 Posts
Contact used lotus parts sellers in the UK. They have random parts all the time.

Reactions: RapidLotus

·
Registered
422 Posts
My friend has not started to tear it apart yet to do the post-mortem but my guess is that it will be pretty ugly. I have asked to sit in on the autopsy. I almost wonder if swapping to an automatic (purists, please don't tear me apart for saying this) transmission might be less expensive due to the availability vs. the manual gearbox that is probably only available from Lotus, especially since the gear ratio is modified by Lotus. The transmission is a Japanese truck transmission.
Used non sport ratio is $3k from MonkeyWrench. Brand new $14k (All manual)

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Used non sport ratio is $3k from MonkeyWrench. Brand new $14k (All manual)
Yes, non sport ratio is very early and great for a highway cruiser. That is the diesel truck tranny. Not sure my bud wants that but time will tell.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I dragged raced (Chevy's) for many years. I blew a clutch and it sawed its way through the bell housing, ripped through a 180 degree scatter-shield and then cut its way through my car floorboard. The floorboard tore open and the metal wrapped over my right foot which was locked to the gas peddle against the floor, pieces of the clutch flew over my foot and cut the clutch peddle clean off. More pieces of the clutch shot through the drivers side window while other pieces went through the radio and dashboard. I was tasting metal while clutch springs were imprinted all over my white t-shirt. They say I'm one in a million to survive a blown clutch cutting its way through the car without losing a limb or seeing death! To say the least, the Lord was watching over me even though I didn't know Him at the time.

I've always said since then, I'm surprised more guys aren't killed or crippled since so many often race at the track or even on the street without any kind of protecting scatter-shield around their clutch housings. The factory aluminum bell-housing surrounding a clutch does nothing to protect when a clutch comes apart, it cuts through it like butter! Only a 360 degree racing bell-housing can keep a clutch from shooting through the car or cutting anything that gets in its way.

What usually causes a clutch pressure plate to blow is the heat cracks that develop over time, the more the clutch is raced, the hotter it gets and the chances of heat cracks increase. People who have a tendency to slip their clutch more often can create more heat cracks sooner, even if they don't race their car. It is the "heat" from the friction by slipping the clutch that will not only wear the clutch plate out sooner, but create the cracks in the pressure plate also.

Whether I drive my Evora S spirited or normal, I have always practiced shifting with absolutely no slippage of the clutch in order to keep it cooler. This is the reason why some newer manual trans cars are coming with a "rev match" feature, it adjusts the engine speed with the clutch to create less friction and damage, to the engine and the clutch.

If you had been driving the car hard (higher RPMs), the clutch might have come clean through the rear seat panel and through the drivers compartment, but thankfully since you were driving at normal RPM, the damage from flying clutch pieces wasn't as intense, it could have been worse. Car parts are easy to change, limbs or life isn't!

Thanks for sharing,
Ed

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Yup 82' 280ZX Turbo clutch exploded during hard launch. Right through bell housing and through the hood to land 100 feet behind car.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I dragged raced (Chevy's) for many years. I blew a clutch and it sawed its way through the bell housing, ripped through a 180 degree scatter-shield and then cut its way through my car floorboard. The floorboard tore open and the metal wrapped over my right foot which was locked to the gas peddle against the floor, pieces of the clutch flew over my foot and cut the clutch peddle clean off. More pieces of the clutch shot through the drivers side window while other pieces went through the radio and dashboard. I was tasting metal while clutch springs were imprinted all over my white t-shirt. They say I'm one in a million to survive a blown clutch cutting its way through the car without losing a limb or seeing death! To say the least, the Lord was watching over me even though I didn't know Him at the time.

I've always said since then, I'm surprised more guys aren't killed or crippled since so many often race at the track or even on the street without any kind of protecting scatter-shield around their clutch housings. The factory aluminum bell-housing surrounding a clutch does nothing to protect when a clutch comes apart, it cuts through it like butter! Only a 360 degree racing bell-housing can keep a clutch from shooting through the car or cutting anything that gets in its way.

What usually causes a clutch pressure plate to blow is the heat cracks that develop over time, the more the clutch is raced, the hotter it gets and the chances of heat cracks increase. People who have a tendency to slip their clutch more often can create more heat cracks sooner, even if they don't race their car. It is the "heat" from the friction by slipping the clutch that will not only wear the clutch plate out sooner, but create the cracks in the pressure plate also.

Whether I drive my Evora S spirited or normal, I have always practiced shifting with absolutely no slippage of the clutch in order to keep it cooler. This is the reason why some newer manual trans cars are coming with a "rev match" feature, it adjusts the engine speed with the clutch to create less friction and damage, to the engine and the clutch.

If you had been driving the car hard (higher RPMs), the clutch might have come clean through the rear seat panel and through the drivers compartment, but thankfully since you were driving at normal RPM, the damage from flying clutch pieces wasn't as intense, it could have been worse. Car parts are easy to change, limbs or life isn't!

Thanks for sharing,
Ed
Thank you very much for sharing a harrowing story. I can relate from my college years when incidents like yours were more common. I doubt most Evora owners are aware or fearful of this kind of event. I seriously doubt many Evora owners are installing blankets around their transmissions and I don't think they should have to. This is probably a freak incident but it is still very concerning. The Post-Mortem will be interesting.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Since the clutch is behind the rear seat wall but spinning in a 360 degree circle at the wall, I would think a strong kevlar or aircraft aluminum plate could be installed on the wall to protect the drivers compartment. It would seem to be the most inexpensive way of protection for those who do drive their Evora at higher RPMs. Just a thought. 😎

·
Vendor
1,324 Posts
An important fact has been omitted from this thread, which should belay or ease the fear from Evora 6 speed owners.
The owner of this Evora had recently replaced the transmission in this car.
It could have been installed incorrectly which may have caused the clutch/flywheel assembly to fail.
Still not a good outcome, but this sounds like a unique occurrence most likely caused by improper installation.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts