The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
That looks great. Once you have everything sorted out, would you mind posting a "how to" ?

thanks!

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Looks good, any concern that it migh affect that part's warranty? Or are you using Lotus parts for it?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Looks great. I've found the blue in my VW to be nicer for long drives than the orange or white lighting on other cars in my garage. Plus, it's OEM on the S2!

Brian

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Isn't that odd how some people find cool tones better than warm tones? I think the warm tones are so much easier on the eyes..

I wonder if it has to do with left brain right brain?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Best one for night vision contrast is red, i.e. ala Audi before they switched in 2001'ish, or aviation dials.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
babak said:
Best one for night vision contrast is red, i.e. ala Audi before they switched in 2001'ish, or aviation dials.
My 2002 S4 has red.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Looks good, but probably won't be easy for anyone with the stock radio, cause you'd have to mod that too.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
pianomaniac said:
My 2002 S4 has red.
My 2001.5 A4 had red except for the numbers on the tach/speedo which were white, S4 obviously retained the red which looks better IMO.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I love the red dash lights of my WRX-STi. Easy on the eyes. I keep it one notch below the highest setting. The highest setting is quite bright. The next click down is quite a bit dimmer, easy on the eyes at night, but bright enough for daytime driving.

Mike

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
red light (low level) improves your night vision, thats why its a "better" color for night driving. most dritical low level lighting is red/orange'ish (military, dark rooms, etc...)

but blue looks way cooler!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
actually it's green... which is why the army has switched to using green light in helocopters etc.

We use green light in Bradleys, for example.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the comments. Answers to some of your questions -

Yes, it will void the warranty on the instrument unit. In fact you have to remove a tamper proof label to open the case. However, I talked to the OEM manufacturer and there should be no problem doing the change. The dimmer function still works.

I did a conversion like this on my S1, but the difference is that the S2 Federal Elise uses an EL lamp, not LED's like the S1. Not so simple. Based on quotes I recieve for the lamp, I'm guessing it would cost about $100 to do the conversion if enough people are interested. That would just be for the parts (new EL lamp and new overlay - I'm just guessin on the overlay). The trickiest part to the installation is removing the needles. They are a tight fit!

OneFastLotus, you are very observant. Although it is Fanfare for the Common Man, it is the ELP version. Sorry!

The radio is a JVC unit. I forget the model number but I liked it mainly because of it's MP3 file handling abilities.

If I get it finalized, I plan to switch the LED's in the headlamp indicators to match. That will be the easy part.

Tom

·
Registered
305 Posts
Has anyone done this to his or her car yet? I have a magnetic blue Elise and I just don't care for the cluster color ... the AC/Heater controls are exactly the color I'd want in the cluster too. I've done full electroluminescent replacement kits for Honda Civics ... do we have anything like that for the Elise yet?

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Obsidian said:
Has anyone done this to his or her car yet? I have a magnetic blue Elise and I just don't care for the cluster color ... the AC/Heater controls are exactly the color I'd want in the cluster too. I've done full electroluminescent replacement kits for Honda Civics ... do we have anything like that for the Elise yet?
we've got to get a hold of Tom since he's the one who started this thread.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts