The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the 37 second AutoWeek spot recently on SpeedTV:

Looks like blue LED's to me!

1/2 of the segment showed factory assembly (including the 3 seconds from above) and 1/2 of the segment showed a RHD Elise and Esprit running around the track at Hethel.

(disclaimer) I have a REAL crappy 1997 Happauge WinTV card that distorts audio and doesn't compress .AVI files otherwise I would have posted the video... a 99.5mb raw download with noise for sound just isn't worth it, believe me!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think I read on one of the Elise forums that the Fed version was going to get the plain amber color.

Hope Lotus changes their mind or the blue is offerred as a dealer option.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The car on Autoweek was a standard 111 (Euro Car). Note the design of the rear diffuser and the lower hood intake. It was not the Toyota powered car. The gauges on the US car will be orange LEDs.

PS: Lotus said the blue LEDs make the gauges harder to read.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Derek said:
The car on Autoweek was a standard 111 (Euro Car). Note the design of the rear diffuser and the lower hood intake. It was not the Toyota powered car. The gauges on the US car will be orange LEDs.
Looks like a future mod. I wanted blue.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i have changed the lights on my celica from amber to blue. its not that hard to do. maybe ill try it and see if i can get a kit made up.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Haven't the pictures in car mags been amber as well? Maybe we can have people close to a dealer with demo hop in and turn the key:)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
All reports that I have seen say the Fed car will have amber lights.

edit- I also recall that the switch to amber was b/c they are easier on the eyes at night than the blues.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Blue lights may look cool but are a poor choice for night vision, you want red.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
_JD_ said:
All reports that I have seen say the Fed car will have amber lights.

edit- I also recall that the switch to amber was b/c they are easier on the eyes at night than the blues.
Correct.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Forget easier on the eyes. Blue looks cooler. And it matches my head unit that I will be slapping in there. BTW, since when was this car about anything comfortable? Even on the eyes. Its built to look cool and go fast, and thats what I am gonna make it do.

-Whit

·
Registered
206 Posts
Derek said:

PS: Lotus said the blue LEDs make the gauges harder to read.
My car has blue lighting within the dash (as std).
It actually looks better than in the pic in this thread (prob. as the pic it's looking directly at the instrumentation from the drivers viewpoint).

and I must say in the dark they are not easy to read.
But that doesn't worry me much because I don't look at them much anyway ;)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'm all for amber. I've been in the VWs with the blue, and you have to crank the brightness to be able to read the guages. With the amber gauges I've had, you can keep the brightness down to cut glare and still be able to quickly scan the gauges.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Evl said:
I'm all for amber. I've been in the VWs with the blue, and you have to crank the brightness to be able to read the guages. With the amber gauges I've had, you can keep the brightness down to cut glare and still be able to quickly scan the gauges.
All 'bout Rods and Cones man and not the driving kind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts