The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my Elise, the ‘Engine Start’ button LED bulb was dark. So, I found the OEM data sheet. Surprisingly, blue was one of the color options. If you’re interested, here’s the bulb P/N and order info:

Mfg: Apem (OEM for switch assy)
P/N: A0142M4
Supplier: Onlinecomponents.com | Authorized Distributor of Electronic Components
Cost: ~$25 (pricey, but guaranteed fit)
Alternate: Wamco WL-1512125B3 for ~$7, but not sure if they are as bright. I found these after I ordered the OEM bulb. For the $$, they’re worth a try.

Of course, red, green, white, and amber are also available (see pg G-5 of Apem data sheet).

Data sheet: http://www.apem.com/files/apem/brochures/switch-pushbutton-A01-A1-A02-A03-ENG.pdf

NOTE: If you’re ordering a different color, be sure to order 12V version!

To change the bulb, loosen the switch assy, so the front cover (button piece w/‘engine start’) can be grabbed with fingers. No need to remove switch assy completely. Just pull gently (friction fitting) on cover, it will pop out easily. Bulb is now exposed; it’s also a friction fit. Use non-metallic tweezers or protected needle nose pliers to remove bulb. Insert new bulb of choice, and reassemble. Verify function before replacing panel.
I performed in-place; but you can easily disconnect cables and perform ‘operation’ in warmer room. Expect this to take half hour or less.
There are several threads w/more install pix and instructions.

engine-start-blue-led.jpg

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I forgot to mention...it looks friggin' awesome! :D

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i did the same "blue conversion" , but the LED was $4 from Superbright LED's. Shipped i believe. Proper brightness, and looks so much better than the orange thing. MG-B-WV part number, 5mm bayonet base.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
That looks pretty great.

Of course the stock orange light seems to go well with the 1980s LCD odometer display. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did the same "blue conversion" , but the LED was $4 from Superbright LED's. Shipped i believe. Proper brightness, and looks so much better than the orange thing. MG-B-WV part number, 5mm bayonet base.
Thanks for the hot P/N tip!
If mine lasts life of the car, it was worth the $$$; otherwise, I'll order the SB one. Since many of the original LED bulbs have failed, I surmise there was a latent defect in them....time will tell.

·
Older but getting faster
528 Posts
Be very careful when removing the switch panel to access the bulb. The panel is often snugly fit and may require "persuasion" to remove. The start button assembly is VERY FRAGILE and expensive to replace.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
280 Posts
Are all these LEDs? Or did the earlier ones have bulbs? Mine has never worked on my car, in fact I had never been in another Elise until this summer and I was blown away when I saw my buddy's start button light up. It is really ugly though. So since mine apparently needs to be replaced, I may as well do it with a blue one, it'll look nice against the orange I think too :)

Is it April yet? I want to pull my car out and work on it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$25?? it shows $43.49...
Ouch!...they torqued up the price! :mad: I would not have paid that. Supply must be shrinking.

Go with alternate or the superbrightleds P/N.....I would have.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i first saw the blue start button from this girl's Lotus commercial...

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Mods: can you move this thread to electrical where it belongs so it is easier to find?

·
Registered
238 Posts
so this is a bulb replacement and nothing more? seems simple enough!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ouch!...they torqued up the price! I would not have paid that. Supply must be shrinking.

Go with alternate or the superbrightleds P/N.....I would have.
Do the alternate bulbs fit as well? I would assume so, since they are both 5 mm bayonet bulbs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do the alternate bulbs fit as well? I would assume so, since they are both 5 mm bayonet bulbs.
Most likely, since other threads have mentioned them. Plus, the price is minimal to try/verify.
Please post results if you install an alternate.

And yes, it is just a bulb swap. I've received many compliments; plus not too bright as to be annoying.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
its easy. What to be aware of is accessing the bulb. I found it easier to remove the whole cubby panel, with the switch still in it. Leave the switch intact, pull off the front "start" lens - i used hemostat to grab the original bulb iirc, replace with new bulb, put cap back on, then reconnect the panel connectors and button it up. It was my first mod. I needed something easy to start.

·
Registered
273 Posts
LED Lighting / LED Lamps LED GROOVE BASE LAMPS

$2 + ship for any one who has yet to do this mod. I just got mine in red from the link above and it looks just like the pic earlier in this thread. All the other colors are available as well, same price.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts