The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello LTers,

I lark around here all the time as I am an avid Lotus Elise/Exige fan. I am planning on taking a road trip to NC from MN this weekend. I plan on driving through the Tail of the Dragon, and Cherohala Skyway. I am also thinking about taking BRP all the way to virginia border from Robbinsville, NC area. That might be a little too ambitious given my time frame.

I noticed many of you took road trips through the BRP. Any suggestions on which part of BRP is a must see in terms of driving experience? From what I hear, the entire BRP is very beautiful.

I hope to hear few tips from you guys. Oh yes, I will be driving a humble 04 Civic Si for the trip. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow, first time on the Dragon. You are going to love it. That entire area is filled with amazing roads. I make the trip at least once a year with my Ducati, but haven't taken the Elise yet.

Last year i took my first trip on the BRP. I have only been on the stretch between Cherokee and Mount Mitchell (just North of Asheville). I am sure the rest of the road is just as good. Don't be afraid to take side roads. Get a good map of the area and follow the squiggly lines. You won't be disappointed.

If you are into bikes at all and want to see a great museum, stop by Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley.

Have a great trip and post some pics!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Oh yeah... welcome aboard!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips and welcome Shovel383. I will pick up a map once I get to the area. I will have the tomtom as well. Hopefully that will prevent me from getting lost.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
I live a mile from the Parkway. My grandfather helped survey it. My first driving lesson age 15: "See those yellow lines? Ignore them!"
It's all good. It's also all Federal: not a good place to get a ticket.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
welcome to ET.

if you've hung around here for any time at all, then you know the routine. if you want to access the knowledge available here, you're going to have to search. this one's easy, but there's a bunch of junk mixed in.

search on "blue ridge"

just over 100 threads, but the applicable ones are very easy to spot. i live about a twenty minutes away from the BRP and have written my opinions, thoughts and ideas previously.

if you have any specific questions about the drive, go ahead and ask away.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pretty much anywhere on the BRP is worth driving on a nice day. I'm more familiar with the Virginia portions, but I'm sure NC is similar.

One thing to note, though. Please be careful. Cyclists will start to ride this time of year. I'd be *really* pissed if you hit me while I was climbing to a 4000 foot summit ;)

- Jeremy -

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
The entire BRP is beautiful, but its not all the same. The NC portion tends to have higher elevations and is tighter and twistier. All of the tunnels are in the NC portion. The VA portion is more hilly than mountainous and snakes through forests and fields more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the posts guys. I will remember to drive safely and not get a ticket. :) There is only so much you can do with a civic anyway.

I will do some searches, I did some already but didn't get a chance to read them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts