The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I am looking to change out the stock headlights on a 1999 Esprit V8 (US Edition). I am unable to locate a replacement kit.

I would like to have the blueish tint lights. Something close to being a plug & play. Is anything like this available?

Do you know of any companies that sell this kit? Money is not a problem. Doesn't matter how expensive.

Many thanks for any info!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Why in hell would you want to ruin the car with riceboy crap?

If you want better light, upgrade the housings and/or use a proper HID setup with 4,100k bulbs.

·
My car sneezes
656 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think he means lights like xeons or HIDs that have a more blue tint than normal Halogen bulbs
The blue/purple halo of HID lights are an effect of the lens, not the bulb. The bulb in a proper HID system is 4,100k temp, which is pure white. No blue at all.

I don't know of anyone who makes a drop-in HID-compatible housing for the round Esprit lights. What you could do is use the 90mm Hella projector housings and retrofit the headlight buckets to use them. Then you could use a H9 HID setup and achieve the off-angle HID halo with a proper cutoff and light output.

Using H4-hack HID bulbs in a H4 housing designed for halogen bulbs is a very bad idea, as there's no cutoff in the lens, so you end up with a LOT of glare that tends to blind other drivers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed the Hella 71456 lens which changes the lights from a sealed beam to a H4 bulb design. Then you can add the HID kit like Alan used if you want HID's. If you use the 71456's then you do not need to retrofit they drop right in.

Got mine here: Mesa Performance Parts...Hella Halogen Lighting

I went with a pair of 71456 and a pair of 71156 both came with bulbs.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
If you like "BLUE" then get HID's, DO NOT use blue Halogen bulbs because it'll be worse that your sealed beams at night. Actually it may be dangerous at night because you cannot see anything. HID conversion Kit's are not that expensive & it's easy to install. it's plug and play!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you like "BLUE" then get HID's, DO NOT use blue Halogen bulbs because it'll be worse that your sealed beams at night. Actually it may be dangerous at night because you cannot see anything. HID conversion Kit's are not that expensive & it's easy to install. it's plug and play!!!
Ok, where can I get them? Can you give me a link that directs me to where I can buy this kit that will work for the '99 Esprit? Thanks..

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
The blue/purple halo of HID lights are an effect of the lens, not the bulb. The bulb in a proper HID system is 4,100k temp, which is pure white. No blue at all.
Not entirely, the arc produces some blue light, even at 4100K.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
http://www.jdlightings.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=26

This is where I got my HID kits. It's a very nice kit. Call them and make sure you get the H4 Hi-Low instead of regular H4.

On our Esprit, the low beam (H4) handles both low beam & high beam. With the regular HID H4 kit you will not have high beam. With the H4 Hi-Low kit you'll get an HID for low beam + a halogen bulb for high beam.

Alan

Ok, where can I get them? Can you give me a link that directs me to where I can buy this kit that will work for the '99 Esprit? Thanks..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts