The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Older but getting faster
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's 2007 Acura TL-S is ready for retirement.

We just drove a BMW 335i.

W O W. -eek-

Now I know what all the fuss is about.

For a 5 passenger compact sedan, remarkable.

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
Yeah the f30's are pretty awesome. I love 'em. I came close to doing an employee lease on one.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I just bought one with the M package. This thing is the amazing. Specially the package gives it the 8 speed M tranny which makes it even more fun to drive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I hear alot of bitching about 135/335 reliability and maintenance. Hopefully the HPFP is worked out by now but I hear of many other issues.

I have no idea if the complaints are isoloated, but you may want to dig a bit deeper.

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
We haven't had any issues with hpfp or injectors on the f30's. And hopefully it will stay that way.

·
Registered
409 Posts
the HPFP warranty got extended for lots of years so it's not a big deal to me.

Also, look into reflashing your ECU with cobb accessPort, it really improves the car a lot

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
2 of my coworkers had to lemon their BMW in the past year (and my staff only consists of 10 employees). One was an e92 335 which popped 3 fuel pumps in a 4 month period, the other was a z4 that was also popping fuel pumps among other little niggles. The 335 is an awesome car, fast as hell with a reflash. I almost picked up a 135i, but got scared off after seeing what they were dealing with. So you guys say the problem is sorted now? I heard that BMW was going to start making their own fuel pumps in-house, is that true?

·
Registered
409 Posts
2 of my coworkers had to lemon their BMW in the past year (and my staff only consists of 10 employees). One was an e92 335 which popped 3 fuel pumps in a 4 month period, the other was a z4 that was also popping fuel pumps among other little niggles. The 335 is an awesome car, fast as hell with a reflash. I almost picked up a 135i, but got scared off after seeing what they were dealing with. So you guys say the problem is sorted now? I heard that BMW was going to start making their own fuel pumps in-house, is that true?
The new fuel pumps don't have the problem, and fuel pump warranty got extended to 7 years

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have a 2011 335i (last year of the E90 body) with the N55 single turbocharger vs. the 2007-2010 335i with the N54 that has two turbochargers. Thus far, the N54-equipped cars have had more problems with high pressure fuel pumps than the N55 cars.

Mine has been flawless in 1 1/2 years and 13k miles. Time will tell if it has HPFP problems, but I read somewhere that the N55 runs lower fuel pressure than the N54, which was part of the problem. Go to:

BIMMERPOST | BMW Forum, BMW News and BMW Blog

to see considerable discussion on the topic.

I'm nuts about my E90, which is easy to drive in traffic but is a blast to drive quickly when conditions permit.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I hear alot of bitching about 135/335 reliability and maintenance. Hopefully the HPFP is worked out by now but I hear of many other issues.

I have no idea if the complaints are isoloated, but you may want to dig a bit deeper.
Years 2006 through 2009, were the years affected.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,893 Posts
Consumer Reports rates the 328i as above average, reliability.

As with all German cars, the larger the model, the worse the reliability.

This is due to the extra gadgetry the more expensive models have.

I remember when the black line for the 7-series and S Mercedes were continued on the next page. (I exaggerate, but not by much...)

Funny, though, that all those gizmos work just fine in, say, a Lexus.

·
Registered
375 Posts
What were some of the major problems?

I'm looking at an 09 for a daily.
Hi & low-pressure fuel pump.
Fuel injectors.
Ignition coils.
Oil filter housing seal.
Trans oil pan seal.
Water pump
Door actuator
Ecu update
O2 sensor
Wastegate
HID leveler
Transfer case
AC evaporator

Note: these problems are on the 335 only,from 2006 - 2009 model years.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've had zero problems with my 328xi. In fact, every BMW I've owned has been very reliable. Only thing I've had to do was a wheel bearing on my m3...and that was just a precaution (dealer noticed during state inspection and recommended it).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts