The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to exit my 1998 318ti and the door wouldn't open! Rolled the window down and the outside handle wouldn't work either. I have managed to get the door panel off (very difficult with the door closed!) but I can't feel my way around well enough to make any progress.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Does anyone have any ideas what can be done?

Door locks function properly but the handles don't appear to be releasing the latch. Feels like they aren't connected to anything. pulling the bar between the handle and latch has the same result.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Agreed, Lotus Talk is home, Bimmer forums don't come close ;)

I can tell you how to fix it once you get it open.

Try lubricating the striker on the B pillar (the bit the latch engages with). I had the same thing on the Z3 and a quick bit of WD40 did the trick. I know it sounds too easy to be true.

If WD40 doesn't work, try light greasing. If that doesn't work, try to see if the striker mounts are loose.

Only thing I found helped when the lock was getting stiff was to lift it up hard and pull towards you in one fast motion.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Don't blame you I currently have 3 BMW's and never could handle the BMW forum...yet I sold my Elise and still visit 8 months later.

THIS IS HOME.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the handles move just fine. but they feel like they aren't attached to anything. I will try a faster movement.. maybe I'll get lucky

·
Registered
232 Posts
OK, this could be difficult. Popping the door panel might be in order, which is tough if it doesn't open!

You could open the panel on the other side and see where you need to aim a coat hanger to get it open.

Does the door pin move?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The door panel in the car is off. Very difficult with the door closed!

But I can't feel my way around inside. (it's also 90 degrees outside and I can't stay out long)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 posts already at the lotus forums vs 1 at the 3 bmw forums I posted at. Here is their first response.

"Are you still stuck in the car?"

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
3 posts already at the lotus forums vs 1 at the 3 bmw forums I posted at. Here is their first response.

"Are you still stuck in the car?"
HAHAHAHAHA... oh wow. rotfl

Wish I could help you, but I've never owned a beemer.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
forums.bimmerforums.com wins!

Try pushing in hard on the door from the outside and at the same time try and open it. These doors get a lot of use over the years and eventually get out of alignment. A good push (or a hard pull if you're inside) will often allow it to open. If it does then you just need to adjust the lock and latch. Possibly readjust the door hinges but leave that as a last resort. It is amazing how much trouble it can be to get them back to the correct settings once you loosen the hinges. I spent three hours on one door alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts