The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had one a couple years ago (a 2000 with 240 hp). I think it will be a collector's item some day, and I'm thinking about getting another one... possibly a 2002, with the 315 hp?

What do you all think of the car? Love it? Hate it? Do you think the Z5 will make depreciate its value much?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have a M roadster. To be honest it's a great go fast in a straightline car but it really requires alot of work to make it a really great car for the twisties. It looks great and if it was not for the fact I am already dating someone I definantely could pick up a lot of chics in it (Red vs Blue reference). And pretty much any mods you do to it will hurt the value.

A classic, maybe. But unless you plan on getting one and putting in in a garage for 20 years I doubt that it's worth the investment. Few cars really appreciate in value much above inflation rates unless they are very special. For real money growth buy a 1/8th scale model M Coupe and put the rest into a nice mid/small cap aggresive growth mutual fund instead. And you won't even worry about door dings.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lotus Fury, I have enough investments... I want toys !!!

MattG, never buy anything as an investment if you're going to have that attitude. It all depends on how aggressive you want to be with your money, but everything has SOME risk associated with it... even some of the SAFE investments have become endangered:
  • Stocks? Seen the market lately? Well, not LATELY, as in the last couple months, but the TREND, as in the last couple years?
  • Funds? Even A+ rated funds are going sour lately
  • PigBellies? LOL ;)
  • Diamonds? They can be duplicated flawlessly... they will be worth no more than the cost to produce them inside 10 years... say good bye to DerBeers (bold prediction, but I'm a bold man).
  • Gold? Once we learn to fuse atoms, mankind will be able to make gold, too.
  • Real estate? They say florida will be covered by water inside 100 years. Venice, Italy in 25. That airport in Japan, well those people are just morons. They say California will be demolished by an earthquake and the rest of the world by some unpredicted cosmic disaster.
I say invest in CARS !! They're fun, cool, and once the Apocalypse comes and destroys everything, the man with the most cars will rule the world, just like in the Road Warrior !!!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
For me autos would be a bad investment. I'm a driver, not a collector. I realized that when I was about to buy a classic Porsche. It was a great price but I would have spent more on it in repair bills to keep it on the road than it cost to begin with.

Every investment portfolio needs high and low risk. The mix is based on your lifestyle, where you are in life and your desired return.

I'm a high *caclulated* risk person. That's why I love Venture Capital & all that it ensues. I'm working on starting two very different businesses right now. You want risk, send me some money. ;) Not sure what kind of return I'll get but it's better than working for someone else as I do now.

Hummm.... Thread drift?

:cool:

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lotus Fury said:
Thread drift?
Who cares ;)

I've got my personal ventures as well. My current one is automotive... I'm trying to start up an automotive development company.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
transio said:

I've got my personal ventures as well. My current one is automotive... I'm trying to start up an automotive development company.
Then why waste money with a M? Spend the cash on equipment or something useful for the new company. If you want a toy get a toy. Don't buy it and justify it as a investment when you're just getting it to drive.

If you're going to get a car as an investment do it right. The M is cool but it's long term I don't think it's got it in it to really go up alot in value. Think an older car that already is starting to show signs of going up in value. Big names - Lotus, Ferrari, Porsche, etc that people have a strong feeling for. Get a special version of one these and you won't have to wait 20 years to make money off it, think 5-10 years for a sale.

Also don't do it unless you are very serious about it. Collecting is a long term thing. The best way to lose money is to jump in head first and then decide 2-3 years down the road it's not worth it. You'll not get a good return and at worse lose money. Things to think about include inflation, interest on a loan if you get one, insurance, loss due to mileage (if you drive it) storage costs, etc. For me there's too many risks for an unknown return. I don't mind risks as long as I can figure out what those risks will get me.

But please don't take my word for it, that's just my opinion. Find some people and websites that can really give you the lowdown on car collecting.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all, I agree with everything you said. Having said that, I never said I want to get a car as an investment. But if I get a used car, I would like to get one that won't depreciate much and that will be fun to drive. The M Coupe is such an opportunity in a used car, and my girlfriend's lease is up in a year, so we'll see.

Then again, the Dodge Magnum will be available at that time. I always wanted a station wagon that could kick a Corvette's ass ;)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
My "justification" for getting my M was to sell it at a profit after the lease. The economy and some bad driving on my part made it so that the buyout value is higher than the actual value of the car.

A used M roadster is only around $14k wholesale, $17k private party. That pretty much sucks.

It is a fun car though. I can only imagine how much fun the Elise is going to be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts