The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Can someone explain to me why new car engines have to hide under huge pieces of plastic? BMW isn't as bad as some, but if you want a good looking engine, take a look at a ferrari engine sometime. They at least seem to see the beauty in good mechanicals.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Evl said:
Can someone explain to me why new car engines have to hide under huge pieces of plastic?
I agree completely. My wife and I went to check out the RX-8 when it first came out. The salesman handed us the keys so we could poke around the car while he photocopied our driver's licenses. I popped the hood and saw plastic. No engine anywhere. I started removing plastic paneling so I could check out the Renesis. When the salesman saw what I was doing, he ran out and started putting them back on! WTF? The only rationale I could come up with is that they're worried that seeing such a small engine in a sports car will discourage American buyers. After all, powerful engines are all huge pushrod V8s, right? :huh:

Jim

·
Registered
92 Posts
minor derail, but I don't agree with the current sentiment about BMWs. I'll give you that the 7 series is pretty damn ugly, but the Z4 and the 5 both really appeal to me.

and that's a hell of a nice looking engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts