The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walked into BMW of Fremont with a friend of mine looking to buy a 135i. Dealer comes out and is friendly at the start and lets us take out their convertible 135 for a test drive. Car drove like a Jetta but she really liked it so I guess it's a good car for 20-something women who don't care much about performance. Anyway, she was still trying to decide between that and an IS so after the test drive I told the dealer we definitely would not be buying today but if he wanted to sit and talk about option choices, color, etc and give us more info on what is actually available (they only had 2 convertibles on the lot and she wasn’t looking for a convertible) then we could compare with Lexus and make a final decision. The dealer looked at me like I was crazy and said "the best I can do for you if you're not ready to buy right now is give you a brochure" as if his time was a lot more valuable than mine and I was just there to dick around with him. We walked into the dealership and he proceeds to talk to 3 other employees, completely ignoring us, and 15 mins later we still had no brochure. We walked out and he definitely lost a sale, seeing as she didn't like the IS as much and is now set on a 135.

Anyone have any luck with other bay area BMW dealerships? It really makes me appreciate some of the top notch Lotus dealers who post here and are actually part of the community. :up: to you guys/gals! Guess you have to be a real douche to sell "the ultimate douche machine" (no offense to you BMW owners :p)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Walked into BMW of Fremont with a friend of mine looking to buy a 135i. Dealer comes out and is friendly at the start and lets us take out their convertible 135 for a test drive. Car drove like a Jetta but she really liked it so I guess it's a good car for 20-something women who don't care much about performance.
Really? Wow- I thought the 135 was going to be like the old E30 M3.
Really suprised to hear the RWD 135 drives like a FWD jetta. Performance-wise, 300hp from a twin turbo'd inline 6, weight in the 3100 lb range - that's really no slouch...

Maybe you're not driving it right? :shrug:poke-

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune at the BMW dealership, but there must have been something wrong with that car.

BMW lists the coupe's speed conservatively at 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. I think I saw a test somewhere that had it below 5.
The convertible is probably a few hundred pounds more than the coupe so factor in half a second or so. No way this car is going to drive like a Jetta.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Really? Wow- I thought the 135 was going to be like the old E30 M3.
Really suprised to hear the RWD 135 drives like a FWD jetta. Performance-wise, 300hp from a twin turbo'd inline 6, weight in the 3100 lb range - that's really no slouch...

Maybe you're not driving it right? :shrug:poke-

Cheers,
-Darryl
I have driven the 135i coupe automatic (all they had to demo) and I can say that it is absolutely NOTHING like a Jetta. That's a ridiculous and grossly incorrect comparison by any stretch of the imagination. It's a tight and precise driving car with gobs of power. I would buy one today if I had the extra scratch.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The BMW in SF is pretty good, came in without appt., had no problem with test drive, didnt have to wait or anything.

Experience with BMW fremont is also more or less pleasent.

Make her buy a Lexus, would hate to see the 1 series turn into a chick car :) .

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have driven the 135i coupe automatic (all they had to demo) and I can say that it is absolutely NOTHING like a Jetta. That's a ridiculous and grossly incorrect comparison by any stretch of the imagination. It's a tight and precise driving car with gobs of power. I would buy one today if I had the extra scratch.
At 3480lbs it's only a few pounds lighter than a 330. Plus I had the extra weight of the convertible top. I guess a Jetta is a bit of an exaggeration. I didn't track it so I can't say too much about handling but I pinned the tach back a few times in 2nd and 3rd gear and just wasn't impressed. Granted I was coming off a test drive in the new M3 so maybe that's why it paled in comparison. :shrug: My thoughts: Decent DD, if you dont mind having little space for any passangers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make her buy a Lexus, would hate to see the 1 series turn into a chick car :) .
Go take a look at the 1 in person, it reeks of "chick car". Something an over zealous father would buy their daughter or a 20-something female would be driving, just MHO of course.

·
Registered
229 Posts
BMW SAN JOSE

I understand completely. A few years ago, my wife and I went into the BMW dealership on Stevens Creek in San Jose. May be it was the way we were dressed or our age, but no one would come out to help us. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy a BMW. But no matter . . . I have a Lotus now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't realize there were 135i convertibles to be had right now! I thought only the 128i convertible and 135i and 128i coupes were around??

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I didn't realize there were 135i convertibles to be had right now! I thought only the 128i convertible and 135i and 128i coupes were around??
That's my question as well. Every dealer I have been to (four) has had the exact same 3 demo cars: 135i coupe auto, 128i coupe auto, and 128i convertible auto. I also find the look of the car to be extremely aggressive in coupe form with flared fenders and the snub-nosed front end. The complete opposite of a pretty chick car. When Hand Banana is saying he jammed on the gas and didn't feel very much power... it really makes me think they test drove a 128i convertible. Having driven the coupe (with only myself and a skinny salesperson) the car had more power than I would ever know what to do with and was whipping around corners. It literally feels like a muscle car across the entire range, just the opposite of his experience. I'm calling shenanigans.

·
Registered
236 Posts
BMW 135i vs Porsche Cayman

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/huFtoPnDb9U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/huFtoPnDb9U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
459 Posts
Anyone have any luck with other bay area BMW dealerships? It really makes me appreciate some of the top notch Lotus dealers who post here and are actually part of the community. :up: to you guys/gals! Guess you have to be a real douche to sell "the ultimate douche machine" (no offense to you BMW owners :p)
Wow, you hit me twice with that! (Good Lotus dealer but douche BMW driver...) rotflrotflrotflrotflrotfl

All of my contacts with BMW places have moved on in life, so I'm not going to tell you where to go. Once you've been around dealerships long enough you learn to recomend salespeople, and not the dealership. A poorly trained salesperson, or one with a bad attitude can slam a dealer, and there are always bad apples, even at great dealerships.

Sorry BMW Fremont sucked! Some people just need to get over themselves and relearn the basics of customer service and how it pertains to sales. :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
i think the 135i is a fantastic little car. it's no lotus in handling but i would take that car over an sti or evo. i've driven it and i love it. hope to have one in the future... maybe after i get rid of my sti

1 - 15 of 15 Posts