The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
surface area (bite) vs thread stretch..... yes. 77 Foot pounds.

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Bolt torque

The studs are 12mm 1.5mm pitch. BMW and Corvettes and Lotii are all the same.

Old C4 Corvette torque spec was 75 ft.lbs.
My BMW is 85.
New Vette's are 100.

BTW, the hub where the bolts/studs thread into is NOT aluminum is is steel of some specification.

Therefore, 85 seems to be a very good number. Make sure you hand torque and with a calibrated torque wrench. Otherwise, this discussion is mute.

Anton

Yes it's the torque I torque mine at,never had a problem

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I am using properly spec'ed torque wrenches also verified with another one as well. I'll leave it at 77 and I'll recheck to see if I should bring them up to 85 lbs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I set my craftsman never re-calibrated, made in china, clicker type torque wrench to 80 ftlbs and hope it ends up somewhere between 75 and 85 ftlbs.

About 85% of the wheels on the road have been made up with the good and tight, or max stun impact methods.

I don't think a nominal value of 77 ft lbs vs 82 or whatever matters much. I dont think you need a 450$ torque wrench and a cal lab to tighten up some wheel bolts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I set my craftsman never re-calibrated, made in china, clicker type torque wrench to 80 ftlbs and hope it ends up somewhere between 75 and 85 ftlbs.

About 85% of the wheels on the road have been made up with the good and tight, or max stun impact methods.

I don't think a nominal value of 77 ft lbs vs 82 or whatever matters much. I dont think you need a 450$ torque wrench and a cal lab to tighten up some wheel bolts.
No I totally agree. However if you have a defective wrench and you are thinking your torquing 77 and in reality your putting down 20 that would be a cause for concern.

I think it could also be said in the other end of the spectrum if you overtighten it might damage the bolt, hub or wheel could be an issue down the road.

Regardless had to make sure.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts