The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, Help!!!

A semi just trashed my beloved Elise by changing lanes into it.
It's unclear whether it's going to be totalled or not, but I would like to be prepared in case we're going to try to fix it. So:

Can anyone recommend a body shop in the Kansas City metro area?

Thanks muchly!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
hate to break it to you, but im about 98% sure that's going to be totaled out by the insurance company.

the side sill damage alone is often enough to warrant that (since its not a replaceable item), much less the rest of the damage seen as well as possible tub damage right below the door

very unfortunate... but that's the brutal life of an Elige accident to that extent

if I were you i would consider buying it back if the price is low enough & parting it out... items like interior, & engine stuff could be worthwhile to sell, along with items like the headlights if they are also still intact

whats the VIN # if you dont mind us asking?

·
Registered
420 Posts
That is soooo totaled. Glad you're OK, I saw this on the news.

Start shopping :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, you guys are probably right, it's probably a lost cause. Just hard to let it go, I guess.
Thanks avonnieda, I walked away from this without a scratch. The truck driver wasn't injured either, which amazes me considering he rolled his rig. Could have been a LOT worse.
Thanks for the replies!!

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Louisburg Body shop is very good for complex repairs on these. Williams autobody has done a lot of them, but fine detail isn't their thing like it is LB...

We can give you a repair quote for the insurance co, but as mentioned above, it's a total... You'll still need that in writing, which we can help with...

-Phil

·
Registered
327 Posts
Glad to hear neither of you were injured. I always get nervous driving next to trucks...I always try to avoid sitting in their blind spots wherever possible but sometimes you get boxed in.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,931 Posts
You made the news lol.

Glad you made it out ok! The car is totaled, start searching for a replacement!

·
Registered
676 Posts
curious...how did you get the damage on top?

just for ****z and gigglez, you should post the pristine other side

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@gooberschnot:
The damage on the roof is from the truck beginning to tip over and crush the car when the driver overcorrected and rode up the Jersey barrier. the semi eventually did roll, but after he had fallen behind me.

Here's a pic of the undamaged side of the car from KCTV5 and another of the overturned semi:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
@driftwood

VIN is SCCPC11195HL32822 if that helps...
it'll probably come in handy down the road :up:... you never know where this car might show up once its out of your hands

but if it does find its way back on the road, I sure hope a place like wirewheel rebuilds it

did it look like the bottom of the aluminum tub was touched at all, or just a bunch of fiberglass damage?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I was driving a Corolla many years ago and a semi hit the back end of the car. My car spun 360 degrees but there was no further collision.

I did not appreciate it at the time but I walked away from that one without any injury.

No matter how badly you feel about the car, once the shock subsides I think you will appreciate that you were not hurt.

Sorry to hear.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
I am glad that you are OK.

The insurance company will not fix this....

·
Registered
676 Posts
@gooberschnot:
The damage on the roof is from the truck beginning to tip over and crush the car when the driver overcorrected and rode up the Jersey barrier. the semi eventually did roll, but after he had fallen behind me.:
I was thinking that at first, but after you confirming it, you are so lucky to be alive and unscathed....please enjoy your life. Wow!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:
Insurance just told me that this car is going to be repaired. It's going to Pro Tech collision center in Pacific, Missouri.

I went out to the tow lot and looked at it again, and it's all fiberglass damage. The aluminum cockpit tub was not touched. Here's some more pix of the sill damage and the undamaged other side.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Good to hear it is going to be back on the road. It would be interesting to see the insurance companies repair bill on this one.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Update:
Insurance just told me that this car is going to be repaired. It's going to Pro Tech collision center in Pacific, Missouri.

I went out to the tow lot and looked at it again, and it's all fiberglass damage. The aluminum cockpit tub was not touched. Here's some more pix of the sill damage and the undamaged other side.
im shocked that the insurance company didn't value the damage as a total loss...

did they already get a quote back from a repair shop? if not, I would still be cautious that they may not go through with the repair once the quote comes back

the clams/door/hardtop are all replaceable, but your pic of the side sill is not (& would have to be repaired by hand)...

this is going to be a huge $ job for a body shop... I would have to think that this is a $15k job just in factory parts alone, & labor is another story

·
purveyor of lightness
4,170 Posts
I'd also be REAL nervous about that hanging oil cooler line.

Has it had the factory oil cooler recall performed?

I'd also be wary about the possible "tweak" the driver door hinge might have received. Getting the new door to align the same is going to be a feat.

Please keep us KC folks in the loop!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts